Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of GLBP and BFD simultaneous

MARTIN FUNKE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

scenario: Two redundant CPE routers with one WAN link each to redundant PE routers. The LAN-IFs of the CPE routers are connected to a single User VLAN with only one IP Subnet. To speed up the routing failover BFD should be used. Can we use GLBP on the LAN simultaneously for gateway redundancy and loadbalancing?

As far as I know, BFD works fine with HSRP, but I could not find any hint about GLPB instead is NOT working.

Can somebody give information about this issue?

Best regards,

Martin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think its supported last line below , as well thinking about it all interfaces are active in glbp so how would it failover as theres no real standby gateway like hsrp , you have your 1 avg and then your other gateways should be avfs and active as well, that's all I could find in terms of it saying not supported anyway , both vrrp and hsrp look to be supported

GLBP (Gateway Load Balancing Protocol) provides first hop redundancy for devices that use a default gateway. Two or mode routers participate in a GLBP group and a virtual IP and virtual mac address for each router are created. The AVG (Active Virtual Gateway) responds to ARP requests with a different mac address for each request effectively load balancing the clients across the AVF (Active Virtual Forwarders).

GLBP is a Cisco proprietary standard which means that GLBP cannot inter-operate with other non-Cisco platforms.

GLBP uses UDP/3222 over IP Multicast address 224.0.0.102 (same as HSRP) to communicate between routers.

There is no default group in GLBP. The default priority is 100 (higher is better). The priority is used to decide which gateway is the the AVG not which gateways are AVFs.

The ability to track objects in GLBP allow you to confirm which gateways you want to be active based on conditions such as reachability by dynamically adjusting the weighting of a gateway.

GLBP preemption is feature that allows a standby gateway to become active if it's priority is higher than the current active gateway. This is disabled by default like HSRP.

The default keepalive is 3 seconds with a hold timer of 10 seconds which is the same as HSRP.

MD5 authentication is available.

GLBP does not support BFD for sub-second convergence.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think its supported last line below , as well thinking about it all interfaces are active in glbp so how would it failover as theres no real standby gateway like hsrp , you have your 1 avg and then your other gateways should be avfs and active as well, that's all I could find in terms of it saying not supported anyway , both vrrp and hsrp look to be supported

GLBP (Gateway Load Balancing Protocol) provides first hop redundancy for devices that use a default gateway. Two or mode routers participate in a GLBP group and a virtual IP and virtual mac address for each router are created. The AVG (Active Virtual Gateway) responds to ARP requests with a different mac address for each request effectively load balancing the clients across the AVF (Active Virtual Forwarders).

GLBP is a Cisco proprietary standard which means that GLBP cannot inter-operate with other non-Cisco platforms.

GLBP uses UDP/3222 over IP Multicast address 224.0.0.102 (same as HSRP) to communicate between routers.

There is no default group in GLBP. The default priority is 100 (higher is better). The priority is used to decide which gateway is the the AVG not which gateways are AVFs.

The ability to track objects in GLBP allow you to confirm which gateways you want to be active based on conditions such as reachability by dynamically adjusting the weighting of a gateway.

GLBP preemption is feature that allows a standby gateway to become active if it's priority is higher than the current active gateway. This is disabled by default like HSRP.

The default keepalive is 3 seconds with a hold timer of 10 seconds which is the same as HSRP.

MD5 authentication is available.

GLBP does not support BFD for sub-second convergence.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card