cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN512

kmelchior
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to SDWAN. I am a little confused by VPN512 - What is it used for? Is it even needed for anything on the edge routers? Or can I just not use it and put a loopback in a service VPN for mgmt?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

high level - hope this helps you

From my notes :

• VPN 0—Transport VPN, which carries control traffic via the configured WAN transport interfaces. Initially, VPN 0 contains all of a device's interfaces except for the management interface, and all interfaces are disabled.
  • VPN 512—Management VPN, which carries out-of-band network management traffic among the Viptela devices in the overlay network. The interface used for management traffic resides in VPN 512. By default, VPN 512 is configured and enabled on all vEdge routers except for vEdge 100. For controller devices, by default, VPN 512 is not configured.
  • VPNs 1 through 511, and 513 through 65530—VPNs on vEdge routers for service-side data traffic.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

kmelchior
Level 1
Level 1

I understand it is used for out of band mgmt traffic. But for some reason I am very confused by it. I'm sure it is simple and I am overthinking it. 

Is VPN512 a flat network that all my devices would be on?

Is it used for any communication between the devices?

If I use DHCP on the interface where does it get the DHCP address from?

How does the port physically get connected to the network?

What is meant by this? VPN 512 is not advertised in the overlay. It is local to the device.

Again, this is probably something very simple that I am just not getting for some reason and there is not much in the way of documentation about it.

Hi Kmelchior -

Yes, VPN 512 is RESERVED for OOB network management. It never carries any data traffic.

> Is VPN512 a flat network that all my devices would be on?
By default, it will be 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.
If DHCP is in place, it will assign 192.168.1.1/24 as an address, if manually it is not configured.

> Is it used for any communication between the devices?
No. See above. My 1st statement.

> If I use DHCP on the interface where does it get the DHCP address from?
Answered it above

> How does the port physically get connected to the network?
It is like any other interface / port
You can connect to a switch, through which you can login.

> What is meant by this? VPN 512 is not advertised in the overlay. It is local to the device.
It is not used for routing. No Data/Service traffic goes through.

Hope it helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card