cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP with over 1000 neighbors using Metro Ethernet

CSCO10408957
Level 1
Level 1

No documentation about using EIGRP with what kind router can build a large network using Metro Ethernet. Cisco7600 become unstable unstable after applying over 600 eigrp neighbors.

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

Though i m not much sure about the topology of your metro network we did the same kinda implementations with 7600 boxes but with OSPF as the IGP.

I feel more inputs from you on your architecture like whether you have tiered setup also the preimplementation plans you had before decided on with eigrp will definetly help here..

regds

Hi

Simple design, 2 Core Routers (1-Production, 1-Backup),

Both connect to Metro Trunk (1 GE), and 600 or more remote branches, each may have 1M to 5M.

In Huge Network, I think use EIGRP with CISCO is better than OSPF.

thx

Are you using eigrp stub's for all of the remote branches? I have not utilized eigrp for that large of a network, but understand that the scalability is much greater by utilizing stubs where possible.

EIGRP protocol may not be the problem.

The hardware running EIGRP may get a limitation.

C7606 running 600 eigrp neighbors will find that eigrp neighbors always restart randomly.

And the Process CPU is also 99%.

However, I found 2811 running 300 eigrp neighbors is more stable but convergence time is nearly 5mins.

you need to stub connect where you can. summarize where you can. it's not a hardware problem. we run 800 remotes on eigrp...it's fairly smooth...keep in mind that your ethernet circuit is a broadcast domain...you may want to identify your neighbor manually. you need to figure out who is forcing your restarts on your netowrk as well

Right, CPU 100% only happens when one interface coming up. I am interesting how your 800 remotes connecting to main site? Using subinterface gi0/0.x for each remote?

wiluszm
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a reason you need EIGRP? If you're scaling to 1000 neighbors you should really use BGP. It's meant to be scalabale (I have routers that have 150,000 BGP routes in it). It's really designed for scalability, where as I find EIGRP is preferable in a low-neighbor routing environment.

-Mike

http://cs-mars.blogspot.com

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card