cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to boot N9kv switch in VMware

cypherscuall
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to boot the N9kv in VMware following the steps in NX-OSv 9000 for in the section for VMware "Provisioning the NX-OSv 9000 in the ESXi Hypervisor, for the most part the description is very similar to what we can configure but I'm having problems during boot. This is the exact message: 

The operation on the file "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/59510bc3-nxosv-final.7.0.3.I6.1-s001.vmdk" failed (14 (Bad address)). 
The file system where disk "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/59510bc3-nxosv-final.7.0.3.I6.1-s001.vmdk" resides is full. 
Select Retry to attempt the operation again. Select Cancel to end the session.

If I select Retry I will get the same message in a few seconds, the only real option is Cancel. And trying to boot again will have the same problem. The disks looks like is full but it does not give me the option to expand it, in this case I'm creating a VM with an existing VMDK.  I have attached a video of exactly what is happening. 

I really dont care VMware, or Vagrant or any of the other options I just need a way to boot the N9kv in any form, so any advise is appreciated.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5

Didn't even know that was an option. 

In VMware you shoudl be able to resize the VMDK.

I haven’t tried but that would not automatically increase the filesystem of the hard-drive, in that case I will still have a disk full. I will try and I’ll update the case, thanks.

Where you ever able to get this to work?

Nope, I tried your suggestion but I have the same problem.

Brandon Rumer (Cisco)
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I ran into the same problem. Unfortunately, after two hours of messing with it I was unable to come up with a solution to this exact problem. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the specific VMDK that is being downloaded from Cisco's download site.

The good news is I can provide you a different way to get the N9Kv. Download the OVA and deploy it that way. This is much easier and I was able to get it working successfully. Don't forget to add a serial port and configure it. Here is a link on how to do this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/203975-Configure-Serial-Port-Access-to-NX-OSv-9.html

I hope this helps,

Brandon

Nice, really nice, Brandon I will try this ASAP and I let you know if I was able to do make it work.

Thanks.

Hi @Brandon Rumer (Cisco)

I tested your solution and I was able to make it work, but there is one caveat, I cannot use a dvswitch, not sure what happens but the device is able to boot and once it boots the ESXi gets disconnected from the network, after I shutdown the NXOS's VM is that I can reach the ESXi again, but if I use the standard switch everything works perfectly. The problem is that the servers with more resources I have they all use distributed virtual switch.

Question for you, have you tried Vagrant to run the NXOS?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: