Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K <-> CheckPoint <-> 5K design question

Thomas Park
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Mr/Mrs Cisco gurus.

Trying to do a design for a customer and have question.

We are trying to put dual Nexus 5548UP and Fex into their data center.

enhanced vPC design.

There will be dual checkPoint firewalls in Active/Standby mode. (customer's request!)

As you know when there is vPC configured in Nexus 5K, since the N5K have separate control plane,

they are both forwarding traffics. My question here is how would I cable dual 5K into dual CheckPoint firewall.

If I were to connect one 5K to one firewall, there will be an issue since the second 5K will also try to send traffic north bound.

(in this case, HSRP configuration with vPC)

So in this case, do I cable them in "x" way? or is there any way to turn off the traffic forwarding (in the north direction) on Secondary vPC peer?

Any design suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Lucas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Thomas,

Let me add to this discussion if you don't mine Prashanth.

The way I see the topology is that you only have one Checkpoint  Firewall passing traffic at a time while the other firewall is sitting  idle.  The key would be to make sure you dual connect them to the N5Ks. I  assume the Checkpoint will be running VRRP to accomplish the failover.  In this scenario I see you have two options available and what  Checkpoint supports will steer you to the right option (I’m assuming  you’re doing L2 to the Checkpoint).

1. Connect both Checkpoint firewalls directly to the  N5K. If you do this then the recommendation would be build a  port-channel (LACP or Static) to each Checkpoint. By building a  port-channel to the N5K then from the Checkpoint perspective it’ll  appear as a logical connection to both N5Ks. This way regardless which  N5K receives the packet, it’ll be able to switch it to correct  port-channel. Of course the port-channel will need to be in a vPC!

2. Seeing you are doing enhanced vPC, you could  connect the Checkpoints to different N2K and Single attach them to the  FEX.  If Checkpoint doesn’t support port-channeling then this would be  the option to go with. Things I would consider by connecting them to the  FEX is if oversubscription will be a problem or not - I’m not sure if  it will be in this environment!

By the way, option 1 can also be used in option 2.  Instead of connecting the Checkpoints to the N5Ks they could be  connected to two different FEXs and build a port-channel. Enhanced vPC  gives you the flexibility of connecting dual connected hosts and single  connected hosts to the FEXs.

Of course, testing this will be critical to make sure there are no caveats with this setup and that it works without an issue.

To answer your question:

Thomas Park wrote:

is there any way to turn off the traffic forwarding (in the north direction) on Secondary vPC peer?

I don't believe this possible as far as I know.  But, if you do the options above then I don't believe there should be an isuse.

Hope this helps!

Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas

I do not understand your intended topology. Will you be connecting Active firewall to one Nexus 5k and the standby firewall to the other Nexus 5k? Why do you say the secondary vPC peer sending traffic northbound is a problem?

Thanks

-Prashanth

David Lucas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Thomas,

Let me add to this discussion if you don't mine Prashanth.

The way I see the topology is that you only have one Checkpoint  Firewall passing traffic at a time while the other firewall is sitting  idle.  The key would be to make sure you dual connect them to the N5Ks. I  assume the Checkpoint will be running VRRP to accomplish the failover.  In this scenario I see you have two options available and what  Checkpoint supports will steer you to the right option (I’m assuming  you’re doing L2 to the Checkpoint).

1. Connect both Checkpoint firewalls directly to the  N5K. If you do this then the recommendation would be build a  port-channel (LACP or Static) to each Checkpoint. By building a  port-channel to the N5K then from the Checkpoint perspective it’ll  appear as a logical connection to both N5Ks. This way regardless which  N5K receives the packet, it’ll be able to switch it to correct  port-channel. Of course the port-channel will need to be in a vPC!

2. Seeing you are doing enhanced vPC, you could  connect the Checkpoints to different N2K and Single attach them to the  FEX.  If Checkpoint doesn’t support port-channeling then this would be  the option to go with. Things I would consider by connecting them to the  FEX is if oversubscription will be a problem or not - I’m not sure if  it will be in this environment!

By the way, option 1 can also be used in option 2.  Instead of connecting the Checkpoints to the N5Ks they could be  connected to two different FEXs and build a port-channel. Enhanced vPC  gives you the flexibility of connecting dual connected hosts and single  connected hosts to the FEXs.

Of course, testing this will be critical to make sure there are no caveats with this setup and that it works without an issue.

To answer your question:

Thomas Park wrote:

is there any way to turn off the traffic forwarding (in the north direction) on Secondary vPC peer?

I don't believe this possible as far as I know.  But, if you do the options above then I don't believe there should be an isuse.

Hope this helps!

Dave