cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Contracts not SMART enabled, what to do?

UnspokenDrop7
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have just been notified by our Cisco reseller that our current contracts are not SMART enabled and there is no way of today to make them SMART enabled. But we can make (I'm not, yet, sure how) all future purchases SMART enabled, so that's kind of good.

Is it really true that we cannot have all our current equipment SMART enabled too? If so, is there any plan to make this possible? If so, anyone know what the time frame is?

Thanks,

Kristofer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kristofer,

The contracts are all Partner Brand contracts under the Partner Support Service offer.  Your partner is correct, these are not ones you can use to get access to Smart Net Total Care (SNTC).  For SNTC access you need to have at least one SNTC contract with a minimum of one device active on that contract. These are known as Cisco Brand contracts.  

In Partner Brand we Cisco support the Partner. In Cisco Brand we support the end customer. So in the future you would need to talk to your partner about covering all or part of the network with SNTC contract types.  However you need to remember that the support model will be different.

Regards, Tim

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

tfitch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kristofer,

Can you tell me what contract you have today please, perhaps share the contract number?

Regards, Tim

Hi Tim,

Sure, our devices and licenses are today registered under these contracts:

92927451, 93919052, 94564468, 94656705

Thanks,

Kristofer

Hi Kristofer,

The contracts are all Partner Brand contracts under the Partner Support Service offer.  Your partner is correct, these are not ones you can use to get access to Smart Net Total Care (SNTC).  For SNTC access you need to have at least one SNTC contract with a minimum of one device active on that contract. These are known as Cisco Brand contracts.  

In Partner Brand we Cisco support the Partner. In Cisco Brand we support the end customer. So in the future you would need to talk to your partner about covering all or part of the network with SNTC contract types.  However you need to remember that the support model will be different.

Regards, Tim

OK, that explains a lot. Thanks for clarifying that.

Is there any link you can share to some good page that explains the difference between Partner Brand and Cisco Brand contracts and what impact either kind have?

Do you know if this also could be the root cause of the problem I have with using SolarWinds NCM Connector for getting reports back on all my devices? I can successfully collect and send the information to Cisco but then I get an error back stating "System Description is missing"? No more explanation about what "System Description" or how to correct it.

Thanks,

Kristofer

Hi Kristofer,

We do not have a document that shows the difference between Partner Brand and Cisco Brand. The partners do not sell Cisco partner brand but create their own service offer to support their end customers.  They then back that service off to Cisco where they need support using Partner Brand. From a Cisco view in Partner Brand we support the Partner, with Cisco Brand we support the end customer.  If you had Cisco brand (SNTC) then you would work directly with Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for support on any network issue.

When uploading data to Cisco you would not be able to do that without first registering the collector with a Cisco service such as SNTC.  That would certainly cause an error but I do not know exactly where "System Description is missing" is coming from.

For Installed Base management you could try to use My Devices. My Devices is an online tool that lets you build and manage a list of the Cisco products you own. It provides a reference for device information that includes:

Product ID, category, and model

Product release date

End-of-sale and end-of-support dates             

Support contract type and expiration date

Warranty type and expiration date

Location where the product is installed (based on Contract data)

To add a device, you only need to enter its serial number in the portal.  You can do this individually or using a bulk upload. You must have a valid Cisco.com account to use My Devices and the account must have an associated Service Contract.

You can access My Devices from the Cisco Support page. In the My Support area, expand the Devices heading and click My Devices.

Hope this helps you get started.

Regards, Tim

OK, before I do anything else I need make sure we have a Cisco brand contract so that I will be able to register the collector with SNTC. I will have a talk with our Cisco partner to clarify what else, if any, differences it may be for us.

Yes, the My Devices is working perfectly fine! I have used it and made a bulk upload using a couple of .csv files. But our network grows with several routers each week so I would like to take it step further, to be more automatic, using a collector.

Thanks for all the help in clarifying how things work!

Forgot.

Can you confirm if Cisco are about to make the Partner brand SMART enabled too? Just not the Cisco brand.

Thanks!

Hi Kristofer.

Partner Brand (Partner Support Service) is already smart enabled. However the installed base information is only made available to the partner. There is no customer access. The partner can use the 'smart' data and capability as part of their value add service to you the end customer.

You can have both Partner Support Service collector and SNTC collector on the same network however they use separate SW collectors today.

Regards, Tim

OK, again, thanks for clarifying!

Best Regards, Kristofer