cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Discovery Using CDP and LLDP Exclude IP Phones

sfalbe001
Level 1
Level 1

I am using CDP and LLDP to discover network devices on my network. I would like to exclude Cisco IP Phones from the discovery process. I've tried adding the subnet to the unmanaged area x.x.x.* but this approach did not work. I also tried adding the segment to the exclude section of the SNMP area x.x.x.* but this was also unsuccessful.

5 Replies 5

Chris Camplejohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CSPC should not manage/discover any Cisco IP phones because the phones do not support SNMP.  IP Phones are collected from the Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Chris thank you for your response.

I don't want CSPC to see the phone because they are in Cisco Unified Communications Manager. But, for some reason it sees them and gives me a error message.

Sh cdp ne de gives me this response

-------------------------
Device ID: SEP00EBD5E6AEF1
Entry address(es):
  IP address: 10.155.30.139
Platform: Cisco IP Phone 7841,  Capabilities: Host Phone Two-port Mac Relay
Interface: GigabitEthernet2/0/26,  Port ID (outgoing port): Port 1
Holdtime : 163 sec
Second Port Status: Up

CSPC gives me this error:

10.155.30.139   Failed 10.155.30.139 : SNMP Credentials Not Set.

Gotcha.  I'm not a discovery expert on CSPC.  In Settings>Discovery Settings there is an option for "IP Phone Discovery".  Is yours set to "no"?  My server is.  Not sure if that setting affects CDP discovery.  Can you check what the setting is you have?

It is set to No

The "Credentials Not Set" means they are being successfully excluded by the filter you mention creating in your initial post. It means that there are no credentials configured that are allowed to be used on the device. The device will not be managed and will not appear in the managed device list. If they are still appearing, you may need to refresh the managed device list by running a rediscovery by going to Management > Discover and Manage Devices > Rediscover.

Thanks,

Lynden