cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max devices per CSPC?

graham.kirtley
Level 1
Level 1

What is the maximum number of devices that can be defined per CSPC, using the default recommended VM platform?

To expand a little; this network will run a DAV routine followed by a full data collection then upload to Cisco.  As this will be conducted in 'quiet hours' it must be complete inside ideally a 4 hour window.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Graham,

The official recommended capacity for a CSPC server, based on the recommended configuration, is 10k devices*. That's obviously one of those big beautiful round numbers, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

You can deploy as many collectors as you want, so its always better to keep the servers well under 10k each.

Thanks,

Lynden

*"devices" meaning chassis, not phones, APs, etc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Clinton Neill
Level 1
Level 1

YMMV, but an inventory of around 3200 devices, with no discovery or DAV ran about 3 hr 45 minutes using the standard VM, ssh and snmpv2 in my environment.  These devices are geographically dispersed in North America and are connected via modest WAN links.

Hi Clinton,

I was being a little economical with my knowledge in the post.  I have 11 CSPCs deployed covering a wide array of networks.

For one covering abut 2,700 device, a DAV job will take about 10 min, and an inventory collection about 1 hour.  Another comprising 1,500 device takes about 5 min and 12 min respectively.  That is with CSPCs running 2.4.5 on a VM host with resources above the documented minimum base spec.

We are looking at another CSPC deployment to cover about 30,000 devices, thus would like to know what are the recommended device capacity limits for any single CSPC.  This may be an absolute instance limit or a limit based upon the time constraints given; either way there is no information in any of the existing CSPC supporting documentation, hence the question.

Obviously I can extrapolate from knowledge of other deployments (and here your figures are indeed good to know - thanks), but I'd like to know what the official design limits/constraints are.

Hi Graham,

The official recommended capacity for a CSPC server, based on the recommended configuration, is 10k devices*. That's obviously one of those big beautiful round numbers, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

You can deploy as many collectors as you want, so its always better to keep the servers well under 10k each.

Thanks,

Lynden

*"devices" meaning chassis, not phones, APs, etc.