cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Parent Serial Number Inconsistencies for UCS Blades

gbekmezi-DD
Level 5
Level 5

Hello support community, I have another question.  Please refer to the attached screenshot of an export from the portal.  I am trying to understand why so blade servers have a parent SN (indicating the chassis they are installed in) while others don't have that information.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

George

7 Replies 7

Hi George,

Please attached the referenced image and we'll have an expert reply by Monday morning.

Cheers,
Cheri

gbekmezi-DD
Level 5
Level 5

2018-02-09_09-05-20.png

Hello gbekmezi-DD ,
I was able to see that we did not get a complete successful collection of the parent device for those serial numbers, would you be able to check the CSPC locally and see if there was an issue during the latest collection job? This can sometimes happen if the device was unreachable during collection or there was a change to ACLs/Community strings.
Thank you,
Jarrett

What specifically should I check on the collector?  Everything looks normal there and the results have been the same over the last several collections. How could any of the child devices have been collected if there was an ACL or SNMP community problem?  I believe all of the children are discovered through the FIs, so the FIs must be reachable from the collector right?

Hello gbekmezi-DD,

On the CSPC, you can manually check the collected data to see if all the information is being captured during a collection profile run.  To get to this data you can select the "Collected Data" button at the top of the web UI.   From here you can select "View Data" on the most recent collection and filter down to the parent of these devices to see each MIB/CLI Collected.  Yes you are correct, we will capture data regarding these devices from their FIs. 

Thank you,

Jarrett

Thanks Jarrett.  I am looking at the collected data and I do see a total of 25 lines in the log for one of the devices with the following: Unable to open SNMP Channel.

How do I troubleshoot that?  There are 73 inventory items within that same UCS pod that includes a parent serial #.  There are 63 items without a parent serial number.  Any additional assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello gbekmezi-DD,

You may want to see if increasing your SNMP timeouts will help complete a full collection of the device.   I've also noticed this error may occur if there has been any changes to your SNMP Credential profiles.  You can run a new discovery job to sync up any new profile changes.

Thank you,

Jarrett