cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use a CBS350 as a secondary DNS server in a Windows domain?

Simon Weel
Level 1
Level 1

I'm about to retire an old server running Windows 2008 R2. This machine acts as a secondary DNS server for the domain. While technically I don't need two DNS servers, it is good practice to have a fall back in case the primary DNS server (i.e. the Domain Controller) fails. My first thought is to use the CBS350 as a replacement, so I did some searching on how to configure it as a secondary / slave DNS server. While there's a lot info about configuring DNS, I haven't found anything about using it as a secondary DNS server. Or maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. Anyway, is this possible and if yes, how to configure things?

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is nothing major requirement to setup secondary DNS Server

If you using MS DNS - there may be replication of Host and other records between them. (if that is not you doing)

just setup and DNS Server on Switch (if that support) - on the clients use primary MS DNS and Secondary Switch DNS IP address ?

Hope this should work for you to query FQDN DNS.

If you are doing any HOST A Entry then you need to replacate somehow on both the systems manually.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@Simon Weel 

There is no DNS server on CBS350. The DNS settings that you see there are client ones.

Kris K