Views
Helpful
Replies

PSA: Avoid CBS350 Switches - Critical POE Defect

d0nni3q84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I'm writing to let you know that there is a critical POE defect in the CBS350 switches and you should avoid them if you require stable POE operations. This apparent software defect causes POE ports to randomly fault after 8 to 12 hours and the powered device will go offline. Cisco does not have a resolution, workaround, or timeline to address this situation.

Please help Cisco prioritize this issue by opening a TAC case if you are experiencing this issue. Additionally, please escalate this for additional visibility through your sales channels.

All the best!

54 Replies 54

Hello everyone,

We have heard your feedback and are able to offer a couple options toward resolution:

1. Firmware version 3.1.1.11 is going through final QA and will be available soon. A beta version is available if you need it ASAP, create a case to be supplied with this version.
  2. It will also be available in version 3.2 if you can wait until the June/July timeframe.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hi Corey,

When you say "soon", how long do you mean? It has elapsed 10 days since your comment.

Hi Emilio,

If QA found something that needed to be addressed then soon would be pushed. If you need the firmware ASAP then please create a case so you can be provided with the beta firmware.

I have tried to get the beta firmware. The support does not know anything about a beta version:

"Unfortunately I don't see they by you required beta version yet"

Besides this it is not possible to get any beta version if there is no service contract for technical support. so still waiting ...

Hey Klauzz,

Sorry to hear about your sub-optimal experience, I'm not even sure what that sentence means. I sent you a private message with information to get the help you need.

Hello,

Do you have access to the beta firmware? If so, could you share it?

We've suffering this problem on CBS250-8PP-E-2G and CBS350-24P-4G switches.

Thanks.

Hello All,

I wanted to provide a timing update on the firmware. We're looking at a release around 7/9 period. QA has passed and we're getting the final bug fix list before posting.

Thank you all for your patience.

Thanks Corey.

Do you mean around July 9th or sometime between July and September?

Regards.

Hello Emilio & All,

Slightly updated dates:

CBS - July 12th

SG - July 8th

As noted previously, we're still awaiting the final bug fix list. 

Thanks,

Corey

Hello All,

The firmware for the SG series is now ready for download (version 2.5.9.13).   There are no new features, but there are security updates and bug fixes. Please take a look at the release note for details.

Be sure to check the release notes to see the bug fix list.

Thanks,

Corey

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello all,

The process to get access to the beta firmware is still through TAC. I'm not able to provide the file. The switches are either lifetime warranty or 3 years depending. Either way you should still have access to TAC. They will be able to help you determine how/if the firmware will help fix your situation. 

It does sound like there may still be an issue with false information on ports and errors being logged. The team is working on all issues we're aware of, so please file a case with TAC to bring resolution/raise awareness.

Thanks,

Corey

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello All,

Providing an update on the CBS firmware update. There was a bug found when testing, the bug has since been fixed and we're back to testing the firmware. No firm estimate other than next week at this point.

I'll post the link to the firmware as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks,

Corey

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Everyone,

The new firmware for CBS switches version 3.2.0.84 has been released. Be sure to check the release notes for the full bug fix list.

A couple important notes:

• This update has changes to the password security policy. Some policies are recommended while others cannot be disabled. Additional details here.
  • The PoE chipset has an update that will take approximately 9 minutes, interrupting this update may cause issues with switch operations.

Thank you everyone for raising your issues.

Best,

Corey

ehuneycutt
Level 1
Level 1

Has this been resolved? I have a CBS350-48P-4G running version 3.3.0.16 and 10 ports are in fault. Only 23% of available power is being consumed.

No problems on our side at the moment but we don't have any of the 4G devices. We only have 4X or smaller ones. But I think it doesn't matter as none of the series has a general problem.