cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-52 failing to assign IP to VLANS

rgadhula2015
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG300-52 which I upgraded firmware to 1.4.1.3 and the boot code to 1.3.5.6. Now I have created several VLANs and set the ports as Untagged Access ports. When I try to assign an IP address to the VLANs (not the Management VLAN), the GUI becomes unresponsive until the switch becomes unavailable. The same thing happens when I assign an IP address using the CLI. The system just hangs and then I get a message to say that the remote host is no longer available.

I have downgraded the firmware to 1.4.0.88 and the same problem persists. I am assigning an IP that is different from the management VLAN IP. I have maintained the default Management configurations.

Can anyone here assist me on what I need to do to get this to work?

Regards,

Rumbi

7 Replies 7

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Have you put the switch in layer 3 mode?  I think in L2 mode when you assign an IP to a VLAN it assumes that to be the new management VLAN and you would need to adjust your computer as necessary to reconnect.

Also, you may want to try using a console cable to make this all easier/faster and not risk losing admin connectivity while configuring and testing.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Also, in some instances, it's recommended that you reset the switch back to factory default.

I will reset and use the console as suggested by Brandon.

I had to reset the switch and used the console to set the IP addresses. After setting the IPs using the console, I then reverted to the GUI and was able to finish configuring the switch. Thank you all for your assistance.

The switch is in L3 mode. It was the first thing I did before creating the VLANs. Please note that the new VLAN IP is never saved once assigned. When I click apply after entering the VLAN configurations, the browser tries to refresh and save the new configurations but loses connectivity to the switch. I have to plug off power and reconnect.

I will try again using the console and update.

I have to assume that you are changing the IP that you are connecting through so that is why you lose connectivity.  Besides using the console cable you might also be able to continue configuration by changing the IP on your computer to be in the same subnet as the new IP you assign and then refresh you session.  Let us know what you figure out.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

I have the same problem too. I tried upgrading the firmware and the boot coed but still, the problem persists.