Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-52 VLANs

JacekD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 x SG300-52 in my network and I need make VLANs. In example VLAN10 on switch 1 and 3. How can I do connect switch 1>2 and 2>3 if on switch 2 there is no VLAN10? From router to switch1 I have port interface general tagged, i.e. port GE5 Access and it works fine. What should I do on port from switch1 to switch2 if on switch2 there is no VLAN10 and from switch2 to switch3 if on switch3 there is VLAN10?

Regards (and sorry for my english).

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, so those links need to be in trunk mode, or general, as long as you manually specify the VLANs going through those links (tagged). So let's say you have VLANs 10,20,30, 3 VLANs, all those links, all the way from the router to SW3, will have VLANs 10, 20 & 30 tagged. As those links are UP, the corresponding VLAN is also UP. VLAN 10 will traverse SW1 and SW2 to go from the router to SW3 even though you don't use VLAN10 on SW2

View solution in original post

Hi,

Thanks for your post,

Set trunk mode:-  On every ports that connect R >< Sw1 >< Sw2 >< Sw3.

Regards, 

Mridul 

Cisco Small business Team

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marc66
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is the router doing the interVLAN routing or is it one of the SG300? If the router, then what you need to do is carrying all the VLANs across the switches where they need to be; so for example, the link between your router and switch 1 needs to be a trunk (general mode is ok as long as it is configured properly) to carry multiple VLANs including VLAN 10. The link between SW2 and SW3 will also be a trunk but even though SW2 does not use VLAN 10 on its ports, you still need to add it on the trunk link between both switches so SW3 gets the data for that VLAN :)

I hope it is clear, let me know if not

Hi, thank you for help. Now I have somethink like that:

Router (with VLANs routing) > SW1(L2) [GE50 General Tagged  + GE51 General Tagged to SW2] ... SW2(L2) [GE50 General Tagged from SW1  + GE51 General Tagged to SW3] ... SW3(L2) [GE50 General Tagged from SW2]. Switches are chain, one by one. And it works if I have VLAN10 on SW1, SW2 and SW3 and on each one have at least one port in Access mode with VLAN10. When I remove port on SW2 with VLAN10 then I can't connect with SW3. I do not need VLAN10 ono SW2 but I need it on SW3.

Hey :)

Ok so Router to SW1 on port 50, then port 51 SW1 to port 50 SW2, port 51 SW2 to port 50 SW3
Is it correct?

If so, then you need (and you should already have) VLAN 10 on ports 50 & 51 SW1, 50 & 51 SW2 and port 50 SW3.
Even if you don't use VLAN 10 on SW2, this VLAN needs to be on its ports 50 & 51 for transit

It should work like that

So I must to create VLAN10 on SW2? And what kind of interface I have to set? General, Trunk on thats every port connected every switches? In documentation I see that: "You can create a VLAN, but this has no effect until the VLAN is attached to at least one port, either manually or dynamically. Ports must always belong to one or more VLANs."

Yes, so those links need to be in trunk mode, or general, as long as you manually specify the VLANs going through those links (tagged). So let's say you have VLANs 10,20,30, 3 VLANs, all those links, all the way from the router to SW3, will have VLANs 10, 20 & 30 tagged. As those links are UP, the corresponding VLAN is also UP. VLAN 10 will traverse SW1 and SW2 to go from the router to SW3 even though you don't use VLAN10 on SW2

Ok, I will try it on my network at my work after weekend. Thank You very much for help.

Best regards

Hi JacekD and  Marc66,

Thanks for your post in Cisco community support forum.

With the Router->Sw1->Sw2->Sw3(vlan 10 needs to be in all the switches , with proper tagging done for the uplinks been used between the switches and router.)

--------------

Mark66 correct about all vlans Concept

->With the trunk port uplink allows one vlan untagging and other vlans as tagged.

->With General mode allows multiple vlan as untagged and multiple vlan as tagged as well.

--------------

it would be better to go for trunk mode initially.

-------------

Any concerns, you can reach us via Chat or call so that we can have a better look at network.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Regards,

Mridul

Cisco Small business Team.

@mridsing wrote:

--------------

it would be better to go for trunk mode initially.

Hi, can You explain where should I set trunk? On every ports that connect R >< Sw1 >< Sw2 >< Sw3 ? Or only on R > Sw1?

Thank You, regards.

Hi,

Thanks for your post,

Set trunk mode:-  On every ports that connect R >< Sw1 >< Sw2 >< Sw3.

Regards, 

Mridul 

Cisco Small business Team

Thank You (both) for help me.

Best regards

Everythings works very good. Thank You once more.