cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG350 & 802.3bt

Terabyte
Level 1
Level 1

Having been ratified in 2018, 802.3bt is the IEEE standard for 60w PoE and yet I fear Cisco has little to no plans to fix their proprietary, UPoE, implementation of 60w in their 60w-capable switches.  As we all know, SG350's have been very slow to receive firmware updates, but one major fix that's been needed for years is 802.3bt.  My understanding in speaking with Cisco is this can be fixed with a software update, but will they?  I'm told even their new CBS350 switches still use Cisco's proprietary 60w PoE.

Has anyone figured out a solution to the issue other than ditching Cisco's switches for switches from vendors that support IEEE standards?  100% of our customers, until very recently, have used Cisco Small Business switches (we dropped Cisco small business APs a couple years ago due to too many issues), I don't want to leave, but I'm afraid we're being forced to do so.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure about small business switches, as per i know new Model Cat 9K does the work 802.3bt

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Cisco UPOE+ combines the new IEEE 802.3bt standard and Cisco UPOE, which means Cisco UPOE+ switches are in complete compliance with the 802.3bt standard and also support all previous standards, such as 802.3af and IEE 802.3at, as well as Cisco UPOE.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/nb-06-upoe-plus-it-ot-wp-cte-en.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/guide-c07-744813.html

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

That actually not accurate when it comes to SG350 and CBS350 switches as I stated in my initial post.  Your links discuss Catalyst switches which are NOT the same devices nor do they run the same OS.  Find me documentation that makes the same statement about SG350 and CBS350 switches and I'll reconsider my stance, but as of now, I've yet to find a 802.3bt device that will run properly on a fully updated SG350 at 60w.

Can confirm CBS350 are still proprietary and 60w is not 802.3bt. This has been proven with a Catalyst CW9164 when attempting to power the USB port.