Views
Helpful
Replies

Small Business SG300-20 system led flashing & no CLI connection

Richard C.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with my SG300 switch. The system led flashes permanently.

I can not login to the web administration interface (with or without DHCP as indicated in the documentation), or connect to the command line interface with Putty and a standard 9 pin serial cable.

When I keep the reset button pressed for more than ten seconds, nothing happens, all ethernet ports will flash after releasing it only.

Sorry for my English, I am French and I use Google translation.

Thank you in advance for your help.

4 Replies 4

What is the colour of the system LED?

The manual says:

System LED—(Green) Lights steady when the switch is powered on, and flashes when booting, performing self tests, and acquiring an IP address. If the LED flashes Amber, the switch has detected a hardware failure.

What IP is configured on your PC? Are you trying to access default IP 192.168.1.254?

To access the switch by using the web-based interface, you must know the IP address the switch is using. The switch uses the factory default IP address of 192.168.1.254 by default. When the switch is using the factory default IP address, the System LED flashes continuously. When the switch is using a DHCP server-assigned IP address or an administrator has configured a static IP address, the System LED is on solid (DHCP is enabled by default).

Can you access to other devices using console cable? Just to check if your serial port works right?

Check serial config according to these setting:

Configure the utility with the following parameters: • 115200 bits per second (with release 1.2.5 of the firmware, autobaud detection is enabled by default, so the switch should detect the speed after you press Enter). 

• 8 data bits • no parity • 1 stop bit • no flow control

If nothings work you can try to open an RMA using STAC.

Regards.

Hi, and thank you for your answers.

- What IP is configured on your PC?
My PC is on DHCP on default IP class C network

- Are you trying to access default IP 192.168.1.254?
Yes, I only connecting my PC to the switch outside the local network.

- Can you access to other devices using console cable?
I use my serial cable for the administration of my PABX and I tried with another cable at my disposal.

- Just to check if your serial port works right ?
Yes, I configure a PABX with this cable. I followed the procedure of this link and the information of the documentation :
https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-support-documents/access-the-cli-via-putty-using-a-console-connection-on-300-and/ta-p/3147983

The boot version of my switch is : sx300_boot-13506.rfb
The system active firmware is : sx300_fw_1.3.7.18.ros

I am not a professional. I recovered this switch which normally had to be put in the trash. I'm not sure if I can apply for support.

Hello, Thanks to your indications my problem is now solved. My problem was not the switch but the DHCP server that had a lease that was too long. Thank you again for your help.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What kind of LED colour is this Flashing ? Amber ?

After you followed the Reset procedure and you still not able to get console,

Reset Cisco SG300 Switch to factory default

http://www.thetechfactors.com/reset-cisco-sg300-switch-factory-default/

Raise TAC case for RMA.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help