Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN TPID 0x88A8 on SG300 series switch

xi00
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask if there is any possibility to get a SG300 series switch to emit a packet encapsulated in a VLAN tag with a TPID of 0x88A8 and not 0x8100?

According to the docs (I was able to reproduce this behaviour) the switch allows semi dot1q-tunneling with the switchport mode customer option. The problem is, however, that this only encapsulates all ingress packets in a normal 802.1q packet with TPID 0x8100. On a (for example) SF220 switch there is the option to set the tpid for trunk ports manually, however the SG300 series does apparently not have this option.

So to finalise, could someone provide me with a minimum working config to get a SG300 switch to transmit a proper 802.1ad packet on a trunk port, or else confidently tell me that this is impossible on 300 series switches so I know that I haven't overlooked something?

Thanks in advance
Christian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Hardly think this will be possible on small business type devices , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Hardly think this will be possible on small business type devices , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '