cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10Gb SFP for UTP?

Benny Chong
Level 1
Level 1

I need to build a new 3850 switch which requires some server to be connected to a few 10Gb ports which i need to buy the 3580-nm-4-10Gb module for the first time. Was tying to build up a BOM and finding the correct SFP to buy together with the module from this site

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

I didn't see any 10Gb SFP for copper, something similar to the GLC-T sfp for the 1Gb slot, the most relevant one would be the Twinax copper cable which comes with both ends of the sfp with the cable attached together. Now is this something that we buy to inter connect to server's 10Gb port? 

Not too sure about the 10Gb SFP to connect to a server but if you guys and give me some of the example of the model that people would use that would be great!

Cheers,

Ben

1 Reply 1

Boyan Sotirov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Benny,

That's interesting. I thinkg the Twinax active copper cable (with SFPs at both ends) is the way to go. But it depends on the interface on the other end - the server. The 10G server interfaces I've seen are normally having an SFP port, but... your have to check what the situation is at your end.

In this case though, I guess the only factor to go for the copper cable would be the price. If you have SFPs at both ends of the connection, you can go optical. It's more robust and reliable, and it's cheeper these days.

Regards,

Boyan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card