cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10Gbit Switch with 24 SFP+ and 4 10GitBaseT Options?

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I am in need of a 10 Gbit Switch with around 24 SFP+ Ports and a minimum of 4 10GigBaseT Ports.  This is for connectivity to several EMC Devices and UCS Servers with SFP+ direct attach and some with 10GbitBaseT Copper Ports on our iSCSI SAN.  Unfortunately the smallest switch I have been able to find with both SFP+ and Copper 10 GbitBaseT Ports is the Nexus 5K Model 5596T which is a bit overkill with 32 10GbitBaseT and 16 SFP+ ports with options for 3 more expansion modules.  Not to mention the price is a little high and it takes up 2 RU which I would prefer 1 RU.

Is there any smaller switch available that has both 10 GbitBaseT and SFP+ Ports?  Ideally in 1RU?

Jim

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

what about the new 3850 range the XS/XU series did you check them , there is different variations of them maybe worth a look although they could be more expensive , most 10GB Cisco are quite dear still

example

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-Catalyst-3850-24XS-E-switch-24-ports-managed-desktop-rack-mo/3764676.aspx

The 2 problems are.

1.  I don't see anything in the 3850 or 4500x line that actually has 10GigBaseT uplink modules.  The uplink modules all appear to be SFP+ modules.

2.  I would use 10GigBaseT SFP+ modules, but I am a bit concerned that the only ones available are non Cisco and have some caveats such as getting really hot and drawing more power than the SFP+ ports are designed to normally supply.  If Cisco released their own, or officially supported a 3rd party 10GigBaseT SFP+ module I would go that route, but I don't want to risk an expensive switch with a 3rd party SFP+ module. 

Likely going to go to the 5596T since it will support our needs for now and give us 3 expansion module slots for future needs. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmm, a specific match for what you're looking for doesn't come to mind.  You're aware of the Nexus, and Mark has suggesed the 3850, others you might consider are the 4500-X or the 6840.  There might also be something in Cisco SMB series that's suitable, like the SG350XG-24F or SG550XG-24F.

As to copper 10g ports, could you not use a copper transceiver?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card