cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

12.2(33)SXH - I branch

MBrooksAirIT
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me why the IOS 12.2(33)SXH train branched to SXI after SXH3a? Any reason to use one over the other?

(Yes, I have used the feature navigator...).

Thanx

-michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike,

There are a lot more features is SXI vs SXH. Currently all the new added features are being deploy in SXI.  For example, support for VSS and MPLS features are all being added to SXI release. According to Cisco, SXI release will be changed to SXJ by mid 2011 with no more modular code.  So, I think, it make scene to use one and not the other since the features are not being added to SXH.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike,

There are a lot more features is SXI vs SXH. Currently all the new added features are being deploy in SXI.  For example, support for VSS and MPLS features are all being added to SXI release. According to Cisco, SXI release will be changed to SXJ by mid 2011 with no more modular code.  So, I think, it make scene to use one and not the other since the features are not being added to SXH.

HTH

Reza

So they are just maintenance releases for all SXH releases subsequent to SXH3a it sounds. And the branch to SXI was the natural development cycle.

Thanx yet again Reza you are starting to feel like my personal support system

-michael

Correct, it just make sense to cycle one of them.  I wish, Cisco would just have a few images and not so many out there, as it is really confusing and cumbersome trying to pick the right image for the right device.

No problem Mike

Glad to help!!!

Happy New Year

Have  a feeling you will get your wish about simplifying the images sooner rather than later. . There will be one single image and you will have to buy certain licenses in order to activate the features you need if it did not come  with the image you ordered with the box.  They are already doing this on the ISR routers with the 15.X releases , there is a single image  for all .  License activated features..  Kind of a pain ...

Glen,

I agree that the license activation is pain.  I have already dealt with 3750-E and X series license and it was not pleasant experience.

But I think overall it is going to be easier (overtime) then dealing with soooo many different images to pick from.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card