Replies

1548M stop broadcast traffic

kblazk86
Level 1
Level 1

How do you stop broadcast traffic on this switch? 1548M

8 Replies 8

Hello.

what are you trying to accomplish ? The command reference of the 1548M appears not to have any command that could limit broadcast traffic, something like the ´storm-control´ command on more high-end switches...

Micro Switch 1548M 10/100 Switch Command Reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps211/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008007d57e.html

Regards,

GP

I need to stop broadcast traffic so that it does not go across my wireless backhauls and bog down the wireless with un-neccassary traffic and i need to solve the redundant-arp problem.

Are you talking about layer 2 broadcasts? If so, I don't think there is any way to do it...and you wouldn't want to.

Can you give us a diagram so we can better understand the problem? I also not certain what you mean by 'the redundant ARP problem'

I want to kill all the broadcast traffic at layer 2 and stop the roaming ARP problem. I just want to keep excess traffic off of this wireless link.

If you were somehow able to block layer 2 broadcasts, your switch would be pretty useless.

What do you mean by 'roaming ARP' problem? ARP is fundamental requirement of a Layer2/Layer3 TCP/IP environment.

If you can describe your problem in more detail, and perhaps supply a diagram, it would help.

I'm also not sure why you think 'wireless' is involved...do you have a wireless access point connected to this device?

Here

http://www.wavelinc.com/how_wireless_works.html

The entire backhaul (blue) will be on subnet 10.0.100.0/24 and each access point (tower) will be on a different subnet. like 10.0.101.0/24 102/24 103/24 There will be a switch at each tower.

If this is accurate, are you using the switches to provide the last-mile runs to the customers?

Since you have switches at each tower (I'm assuming the aggregate tower as well), you have a large broadcast domain, and you want to make it smaller, yes?

If so, you should be using routers, and not switches. A switch is designed to pass layer 2 broadcast traffic to every port. Many protocols depend on this behavior to work properly.

If you want to limit your broadcast domain, you should be using routers or VLANs. In your case, I don't think the switch model you have is going to have the feature set you need to accomplish this.

tell me more about the vlans

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card