Views
Helpful
Replies

2 networks - 1 Internet Connection

declanbarry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks..

I'm just joined and would appreciate assistance in starting out with Cisco equipment.  I have 2 networks in the school that have to be kept apart but I need both to use the one Internet connection we have.

Both networks have their own dhcp and associated services so naturally I need a way of separating them.  We have a Cisco 1721 router with 2 WIC cards installed..

Could I use this router to share the Internet connection between the two networks but keeping them both separate from each other?

Help greatly appreciated

Declan Barry

4 Replies 4

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You can take help of VRF-LITE. Like I have tried same for two routers

A----B

A is provider end router and B is customer end router

On Customer end I created three vrf..LAN-A, LAN-B and INTERNET

From A, I announced 90.90.90.1 in INTERNET vrf and I am able to ping from both network while both are
still separate

Please find config done on B for your reference

ip vrf INTERNET
rd 300:1
route-target export 300:1
route-target import 100:1
route-target import 200:1
!
ip vrf LAN-A
rd 100:1
route-target export 100:1
route-target import 100:1
route-target import 300:1
!
ip vrf LAN-B
rd 200:1
route-target export 200:1
route-target import 200:1
route-target import 300:1

interface Loopback100
ip vrf forwarding LAN-A
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
!
interface Loopback200
ip vrf forwarding LAN-B
ip address 192.168.14.1 255.255.255.252
!
interface Loopback300
ip vrf forwarding INTERNET
ip address 125.62.167.1 255.255.255.252
duplex auto
speed auto

router bgp 64520
bgp log-neighbor-changes
!
!
address-family ipv4 vrf LANB
  redistribute connected
  no synchronization
exit-address-family
!
address-family ipv4 vrf LANA
  redistribute connected
  no synchronization
exit-address-family
!
address-family ipv4 vrf INTERNET
  redistribute connected
  neighbor 125.62.167.2 remote-as 9730
  neighbor 125.62.167.2 activate
  no synchronization
exit-address-family

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Folks..

I'm just joined and would appreciate assistance in starting out with Cisco equipment.  I have 2 networks in the school that have to be kept apart but I need both to use the one Internet connection we have.

Both networks have their own dhcp and associated services so naturally I need a way of separating them.  We have a Cisco 1721 router with 2 WIC cards installed..

Could I use this router to share the Internet connection between the two networks but keeping them both separate from each other?

Help greatly appreciated

Declan Barry

Declan,

Yes you can what i understand with your requirement is two lan and one wan,It's simple just do natting for both lan subnets with wan subnets so both lan can have internet connection with same public ip's.

And for lan connection already DHCP is configured so that users will get there ip from there dhcp servers and when they want to communicate to internet it can as there lan subnet are natted to go outside.

check out the below link for nat configuration which will clear your query !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e77.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Folks..

Many thanks for the replies. Most if it is over my head at the monent as I'm only starting with Cisco stuff but I have to start somewhere.  At least I know that hopefully the equipment I have will do the job.

I'll have a go at the configuration and see how I get on.

Regards

Declan

Hi Folks..

Many thanks for the replies. Most if it is over my head at the monent as I'm only starting with Cisco stuff but I have to start somewhere.  At least I know that hopefully the equipment I have will do the job.

I'll have a go at the configuration and see how I get on.

Regards

Declan

Declan,

No problem we are here to helpf you out !! Just an suggestion before entering into configuraion stuff,always keep in mind what will be the complete data flow will be from end point to endpoint that will be helpful when you will do configuration of the device and will be helpful to troubleshoot the problem when you face any problem in future.

Keep update about the progress

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card