Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 IS Router configuration...

DanielMHussey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello-

My company recently purchased a 2911 Integrated services router and I have been charged with figuring out how to configure it.  Our ISP has provided us with the following information:

Our carriers circuit is coming to us via Chicago Loop's metro-ethernet, and we have a VLAN ID: 105

Here is ths IP info provided:

WAN Block: X.X.254.108/30,

WAN Subnet: 255.255.255.252,

LAN Block: X.X.255.72/29,

LAN Subnet: 255.255.255.248,

Usable IPs: X.X.255.74-.78,

Cust Serial: X.X.254.110,

AOI Serial: X.X.254.109 <I believe this is our ISP's serial?

I currently have the 2911's interfaces configured as:

WAN facing GigabitEthernet0/0 IP: X.X.254.110 , 255.255.255.252

LAN facing GigabitEthernet0/1 IP: X.X.255.74 , 255.255.255.248

I would assume I need to incorporate the VLAN ID of 105 into the mix somehow as well but am not sure where it goes.

NOTE:

We also have a firewall behind the router, which I am fairly certain will get one of our usable IP's...

ANYWAY- THANKS FOR THE HELP, and if at all possible seeing configurations would help me!

-Dan

24 Replies 24

Hi Daniel

You output seems to be fine .

Check whether the you link is working fine & Keep under monitoring.  Now every ISP use the same way to provide the MPLS Metro Ether Net link .

Because it is the easiest way to deliver the link to customer .

Regards

Chetan Kumar

http://chetanress.blogspot.com

Just wanted to post these just in case but these are the updated SHOW files for DIAG CONFIGURATION VLANS and INVENTORY.

I am curious though as to why this still isn't working? Do I need to setup a static route between our router and the ISP's? Do I need to bridge my router to our firewall?

I am being told by my ISP the link IS up, but then why would i not be able to ping 216.239.51.99 (google) from the router?

-Dan

ALSO-

You mentioned defining the Routing protocol or static route between out locations> how is this done?

I have connected the firewall to the router now (the firewall has its WAN interface with xxx.xxx.255.75 and controls DCHP for our LAN) and the 0/1 LAN facing interface on the router has xxx.xxx.255.74, while the WAN interface 0/0 has no ip and 0/0.105 has the xxx.xxx.254.110... 

I am able to PING the .110 IP from a computer connected through our LAN, but I am NOT able to PING the .109 ISP's serial that I WAS able to PING from the router... I am assuming this is because the above mentioned routing protocol / static route has not been defined?

I am getting close now, being able to ping these addresses is the first step!

-Dan

ALSO-

From our firewall I CANNOT ping the .109 serial of our ISP, but I CAN ping the 0/0 interface (wan facing) on the router at .110 ... I feel like I am missing some way of routing from the 0/1 LAN/firewall facing interface THROUGH the 0/0 WAN facing interface to the WAN...

-DAN

Hello,

Does the ISP router has a route back to your LAN IP? If not you need to

configure NAT.

access-list 1 permit

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Gi 0/0.105 overload

interface gi 0/0.105

ip nat enable

exit

interface gi 0/1

ip nat enable

exit

ex:

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Gi 0/0.105 overload

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hello,

Also make sure that you have a static default route pointing to the ISP

gateway.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xx.xx.xx.109

Regards,

NT

Hi  Daniel

OK . Now you are able to ping Point -to- Point IP, means your link is UP.

Now  Flollow the below steps :

1] Have a word with ISP for routing , Whether he is ready with dynamic routing ot static routing. ( Static Default route is  Preferred )

becasue it is very easy to setup . But in this case you need to inform the local LAN route that you are using in locations.

2] After having word with ISP if he agree with Static default route then inform your LAN route to ISP  & Configure default route in your router.

i.e. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  ( Ip Address of ISP interface )

Same need to configure in all location . So in every locaiton you need to configure default route towards ISP and inform the LAN route also for that location.

Then try to communicate with other location  It will work .

Regards

Chetan Kumar

http://chetanress.blogspot.com

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Unless you are using Metro-E link to expand  your L2 network to other location, you don't have to worry about VLAN ID 105.

In your case, you are using Metro-E as your L3 port to your ISP connection.

For configuration, what routing protocol are you going to run between your 2911 and ISP?

BGP or just static default route?

If you are going to use default static route, you can configure "ip roue 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.254.109"

For your FW, you need to assign one of X.X.255.75-.78 as you used .74 for 2911.

On FW, you create a default static pointing to .74 (your 2911 router IP address)

KK.

I am unsure what protocol we will use, but I also think I still need the VLAN (for two reasons: 1) they ISP told me I needed to strip the VLAN, and 2) our ISP is re-selling the underlying carriers circuit, thus the VLANS are the underlying carriers method of identifying our ISP's circuit is for our use...)

Correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions here

-Dan

HI,

In that case, you are correct.

KK.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card