cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-C connection to Cisco Core 6513

david.klein
Level 1
Level 1

I will try to explain this the best I can. I have a 6513 Cisco core switch and will need to plug into a port on the Cisco 6513 to connect to a Cisco 2960-C POE switch. I need POE because I will be plugging in some shoretel phones to this switch. I need at the least if possible, a desktop vlan and voip vlan on each port. I know how to configure the ports for this. So lets say my Desktop vlan is vlan 10 and my voip vlan is vlan 20. On my access ports on the 2960-C I will be assigning each port to vlan 10(desktop) and also switchport voice vlan 20.

So If I plug into an access port on the 6513 and also go to an access port on the 2960C then I could potentially give the 2960-C a management IP on the in the Desktop vlan range, say vlan 10 is 10.10.10.x/24 , I could say vlan 10, name desktop vlan, int vlan 10 ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 and as long as I have the telnet or ssh login setup, could get to to it via 10.10.10.1 I believe.

Now if I want to assign the management IP something else from a different management IP, say vlan 30(10.10.20.x/24). In order to do this will I need to have the link going from 2960-C to 6513 configured as a trunk port on each end?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI If your using voice and data on the access ports the uplink port will need to be trunk anyway as its more than 1 vlan even without vlan 30 for management   , it will still need to push vlan 10,20 and access port wont do this between switches , anything more than 1 vlan requires trunk

thank you both

Yes , you need trunk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card