Views
Helpful
Replies

2960L-SM - Issue to access WGUI

FP9876
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

After some unsuccessful research, I would like to request your help and advise. I have looked for similar issues around the web but didn't find the solution so far.

I am trying to configure a Cisco Catalyst 2960L-SM, this kind of switch cannot be configured through CLI and has to be done through web interface using 192.168.1.1, however default password for this switch (smartm / c2960lsm) was not working as well as cisco / cisco...

As a result I have tried the password recovery procedure but it seems it is only working with the LL models as I haven't been able to finish it, getting stuck at the step where I was supposed to get a prompt after the booting sequence.

I am now in a situation where the switch doesn't have an ip, neither a config file and I am not able to set an ip or reset the password. The conf t function is not available as it is a SM model.

I have also look for a factory reset procedure without success.

Any help will be welcome

Please find attached what I can see from the console

Regards

Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your feedback and for the links provided.

After entering enable mode, the setup function is not usable and I get the following :

No Day0 Config File Found
Failed to generate persistent self-signed certificate.
Secure server will use temporary self-signed certificate.
Jul 30 21:31:50.678: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.
Jul 30 21:31:50.681: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.
Jul 30 21:31:50.687: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.
Jul 30 21:31:50.688: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.

I have tried the configure command as well but it is not active on my model, I have read that it is only working on the LL models, the SM ones cannot enter into configuration mode through CLI.

I have then tried and success to create a config file and the switch now get the ip I have specified on vlan1 192.168.1.1 and I can reach the web access prompt

However, I have tried to set up a user & password directly into the config file but it doesn't allow me to access using the web access prompt

I will continue to dig into it to see if I can get this password configured another way. Please feel free if you have any suggestion.

Regards

Frank

Update :

I know have the attached configuration on the switch. The login is prompted when I log from the console and I can access normally using smartm / c2960lsm defaut creditential

However the access to the WGUI is still off, the login window get prompted all the time. I am wondering if this is a problem of password finally and might be something else.

Will keep you in touch.

Update 08/02:

Hello everyone,

I have finally be able to solve my problem, I will explain how in case someone else encounters the same issue to access web GUI.

It seems the problem was not coming from wrong username or password or anything broken from the os but from the user not having enough privilege. One of the challenge was to be able to modify the default user / create a new user without being able to access the configuration mode and with the setup command not working on enable mode.

I will let my colleagues correct if there is a better way but this one worked for me.

Prepare the configuration file using the default username & password for this model of switch with the right level of privilege :

username smartm privilege 15 password 0 c2960lsm

Please note that I had lost default factory ip & dhcp function so I have also inserted the below code in the config file to fix it :

Switch ip on vlan 1

interface Vlan1
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

DHCP

ip dhcp pool admin
 network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
 default-router 192.168.1.1
 dns-server 192.168.1.1

Finally please find attached the config code I have used in case you need to check yours.

To upgrade the configuration without having access to the config mode, I have used the following solution :

Use console port to reach the switch

Go on enable mode

Create a config file using the following command :

tclsh
puts [open "flash:filename" w+] {
put your configuration code here } tclquit

Replace filename by config.new for example.

Rename the active config file for back up purpose :

rename flash:config.text flash:config.bu

Rename your new config file :

rename flash:config.new flash:config.text

Restart the switch so it can load the new config :

reload

After rebooting, your switch will have the new config loaded, I have then used the following command (not sure it was needed)

copy running-config startup-config

Finally, you should be able to access again the switch through a web browser using the default username & password :

Login : smartm

Password : c2960lsm

I hope it helps. Thank you for the insight from the community, see you soon.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

>>> this kind of switch cannot be configured through CLI <<<

you are not completely right !

Yes the configure command is missing in your output
   clock Manage the system clock
   cns CNS agents
   connect Open a terminal connection
   copy Copy from one file to another

but you can run the "setup" script
   send Send a message to other tty lines
   set Set system parameter (not config)
   setup Run the SETUP command facility
   show Show running system information
   software Software commands
this will configure basic parameters like IP-address/mask, gateway , password

apart from above you issued the "?" while not in privileged exec mode
try again when "enabled"

and read the Consolidated Platform Command Reference, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(7)E (Catalyst 2960-L Switches)
and Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(6)E (Catalyst 2960-L Switches)in he last document you can find: While in privileged EXEC mode, enter the configure command.
so it is not "conf t" (configure terminal) but just "configure"

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your feedback and for the links provided.

After entering enable mode, the setup function is not usable and I get the following :

No Day0 Config File Found
Failed to generate persistent self-signed certificate.
Secure server will use temporary self-signed certificate.
Jul 30 21:31:50.678: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.
Jul 30 21:31:50.681: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.
Jul 30 21:31:50.687: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.

I have tried the configure command as well but it is not active on my model, I have read that it is only working on the LL models, the SM ones cannot enter into configuration mode through CLI.

I have then tried and success to create a config file and the switch now get the ip I have specified on vlan1 192.168.1.1 and I can reach the web access prompt

However, I have tried to set up a user & password directly into the config file but it doesn't allow me to access using the web access prompt

I will continue to dig into it to see if I can get this password configured another way. Please feel free if you have any suggestion.

Regards

Frank

Update :

I know have the attached configuration on the switch. The login is prompted when I log from the console and I can access normally using smartm / c2960lsm defaut creditential

However the access to the WGUI is still off, the login window get prompted all the time. I am wondering if this is a problem of password finally and might be something else.

Will keep you in touch.

Update 08/02:

Hello everyone,

I have finally be able to solve my problem, I will explain how in case someone else encounters the same issue to access web GUI.

It seems the problem was not coming from wrong username or password or anything broken from the os but from the user not having enough privilege. One of the challenge was to be able to modify the default user / create a new user without being able to access the configuration mode and with the setup command not working on enable mode.

I will let my colleagues correct if there is a better way but this one worked for me.

Prepare the configuration file using the default username & password for this model of switch with the right level of privilege :

username smartm privilege 15 password 0 c2960lsm

Please note that I had lost default factory ip & dhcp function so I have also inserted the below code in the config file to fix it :

Switch ip on vlan 1

interface Vlan1
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

DHCP

ip dhcp pool admin
 network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
 default-router 192.168.1.1
 dns-server 192.168.1.1

Finally please find attached the config code I have used in case you need to check yours.

To upgrade the configuration without having access to the config mode, I have used the following solution :

Use console port to reach the switch

Go on enable mode

Create a config file using the following command :

tclsh
puts [open "flash:filename" w+] {
put your configuration code here } tclquit

Replace filename by config.new for example.

Rename the active config file for back up purpose :

rename flash:config.text flash:config.bu

Rename your new config file :

rename flash:config.new flash:config.text

Restart the switch so it can load the new config :

reload

After rebooting, your switch will have the new config loaded, I have then used the following command (not sure it was needed)

copy running-config startup-config

Finally, you should be able to access again the switch through a web browser using the default username & password :

Login : smartm

Password : c2960lsm

I hope it helps. Thank you for the insight from the community, see you soon.

Great to hear you found a way to tackle the issue ! Kudo's for you!

>>> I have read that it is only working on the LL models, the SM ones cannot enter into configuration mode through CLI.<<<

your reference to LL and SM model was not clear to me but I think I have  found what you are referring to :

Compare Catalyst 2960-L models

Catalyst 2960-L fixed managed switches
8, 16, 24, or 48 ports 1 Gigabit Ethernet
Manage with full CLI

Catalyst 2960-L Smart Managed switches
8, 16, 24, or 48 ports 1 Gigabit Ethernet
Manage with graphic UI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card