cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X Stacking config

dbuckley77
Level 1
Level 1

We have two 2960X switches in a stack but there is only one stacking cable between the two of them.  We have other stacks of two switches where there are two stacking cables between the switches.  We would like to add a second cable to the stack that has just the one cable between the two switches.  Do I have to power down both switches to do this?  What is the best practice for adding the second cable?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

For production environment and depending on the criticity, I would not put the second cable during business hours. But, after hours I would not turn the device down for sure.  Only after plug the cable I see anything weird, then I would save the config and reload the stack.

I dont believe there is  a best practive for this as the best practice is to have both cables plugged.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

As mentioned above, I would add 2nd cable after business hours just to be safe.  Normally you do not have to power down or reboot stack but "bad" things happen.  Check stack-related configs before and after adding 2nd cable. Reboot stack if something is "weird" after

you should have 2 stacking cables for optimum speed and redundancy.  if one cable goes down  (breaks or disconnects) you have still stack in operation and running on 1 cable.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card