Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X Switch Stacking with fiber

Zeeshan Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I am trying to stack 2960x "WS-C2960X-48LPD-L" switches in two different racks, and racks are far away from each other. ( lets say 4 Meters distance between racks). 

My ask is, how I can create stack between switches using fiber cable (1000BaseSX SFP), 

I am attaching the pic of closet for better under standing. 

Thank you and much appreciated your reply. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seems like Cisco is working on horizontal stacking for 2960X also:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/global/da_dk/assets/pdfs/cisco_catalyst_switching.pdf

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no stacking cable that long (4 meters).  I think the longest stacking cable is one meter.

So, the easiest way to do this is by stacking the 2 switches in rack-1 and uplink them to the core and also stack 3 switches in rack-2 and uplink them to the core.  In this case, you will have 2 stacks, one in rack-1 and one in rack-2.

HTH

Thanks Rex's for your reply,

I don't have enough uplinks in core so can't make them separate stack.

and the longest stack cable cisco has 3 meter which is no not enough for me as well that's why trying to do it with fiber.

plz let me know if you find any solutions.

thanks and appreciated your reply.

Hi,

You may want to contact this company (link below) as they have stacking cables up to 10M.

http://blog.connectzone.com/cab-stack-10m-the-longest-available-stackwise-cable-for-cisco-3750/

The pictures shows it being for the 3750 series but they may custom build for 2960x as well.

HTH

Seems like Cisco is working on horizontal stacking for 2960X also:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/global/da_dk/assets/pdfs/cisco_catalyst_switching.pdf

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My ask is, how I can create stack between switches using fiber cable (1000BaseSX SFP)

This is called Horizontal Stacking and this feature will never be enabled on a Cat 2K.

Thanks Leo,

Do you have any other idea/ suggestions to accomplish stacking in 2 separate racks on (2960x) switches.

thank you 

Ummmm ... One method, archaic, is to use Switch Clustering.

Very old and I don't see any benefit other than to save IP address to the management VLAN.

Hi Leo,

Horizontal Stacking is working succesfully on Catalyst 2960X with 10G uplinks. IOS 15.2(5)E2

SW12-C2960X-48P-HSTACK-TUL#sh switch hstack-ports
 Horizontal stack port status :
 Te Ports   Stack Port   Operational Status   Next Reload Status   Media Type
 --------- ------------ -------------------- ------------------- -------------
 Te1/0/1      NA           N/W Port           N/W Port            Fiber
 Te1/0/2      2            Stack Port         Stack Port          Fiber
 Te2/0/1      1            Stack Port         Stack Port          Fiber
 Te2/0/2      2            Stack Port         Stack Port          Fiber
 Te3/0/1      1            Stack Port         Stack Port          Fiber
 Te3/0/2      2            Stack Port         Stack Port          Fiber

Hello,

You achieved this by using regular uplink ports from switch? Or are you using the new FlexStack-Extended modules (fiber or hybrid)?

From what I have read, it seems that we can use regular uplink ports for stacking (without the need to buy an stack module) but I have no switches to test this.

Regards,

Joao Carvalho

Hello,

Yes, using only regular uplink ports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card