Views
Helpful
Replies

3620 IOS upgrade problem

sevans1979
Level 4
Level 4

Hello!

I need some help. I have a 3620 and it had IOS image 12.3(17a) IP Feature set. I got 12.3(17b) Enterprise plus to upgrade.

The router has 64MB DRAM and 16MB of Flash. I copied the first IOS image over to my TFTP server (just incase). Then I copied over the newer IOS image from the tftp server to my router. The image copied over fine (all !'s) and the checksum was fine (displayed a OK).

Then when I rebooted the router is wont boot up. I uncompresses the image and displays a (OK) after all the ### characters. BUT here is my problem. It then says "error: uncompressed check sum incorrect" or something to that affect. Then it tries to load via the two external flash slots. After that is goes into Rommon 1> mode.

It could be the image or the flash module. Dont think it would be the flash module. How do I put the previous IOS image back on the router via the rommon mode to get this router working again???

Thank you guy and girls in advance!!

Scott

21 Replies 21

It's weird alright...

I wonder if you are game to try this thing that I have had to do sometimes:

First, get rid of the boot system command.

Then, configure the following;

boot bootstrap flash:c3620-i-mz.123-17a.bin

boot system tftp c3620-j1s3-mz.123-17b.bin 10.254.0.254

It's worth a shot :-)

Paresh

No go, same result. I guess I will just stick with 12.3(17a) IP until I can get a new flash module.

Hi

If you are not able to boot then even from ROMMON mode you can.

(1)I used Solarwinds TFTP server available at www.solarwinds.net.

(2)Click File -->Configure-->Security --> Transmit and Recieve both

(3)You will get a command "rommon 1> tftpdnld"

(4)give IP_ADDRESS=(say)192.168.1.1 and so on

(5) give subnet, gateway, tftp server ip, and tftp file.

(6) then rommon 7>tftpdnld -r

Above will load the image and run it

Try it

Regards

JD

I am already using Solarwinds TFTP server on a PC in my lab and I know I have it enabled to Recieve and Transmit. I have checked that like 10 times.

I will try your idea in the morning and see if that works

Thank you Desai

Scott

According to some docs I found on Cisco's site say that the tftpdlnd command is a feature only available on the 2600 series routers.

Looks like that wont work for my 3620

Hi

I am having one 3640 and have faced similar prob like this....It had worked on it.

JD

Rename the File name to something else on your tftp server and use that name instead in the router configuration, for example change file c3620-j1s3-mz.123-17b.bin 10.254.0.254 to test.bin.

try this trick and I hope it will work and ensure you have no firewall on the PC/tftp server including WIndowsXP built-in firewall.

Regards

Shaheen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card