cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 - anyone running 7-9 switches in one stack?

ieee1284c
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for feedback from other organizations that have large 3750 stacks.  I've got one stack of (8) 3750's composed of (6) 3750G's and (2) plain 3750's.  This particular stack is usually unresponsive to SNMP queries and often fails to write config when we make changes.  After a couple tries it will finally go.  Part of my probably here is likely the plain 3750's that always boot faster and come up as the master.  I should manually set the master to one of the G's.  What I'm wondering is who else has 7-9 3750's stacked and are they performing well for SNMP, telnet, etc?  I've got another newer stack of 7 3750E's that I need to add one more switch to.  Need to decide if I want extended downtime to break the stack up or just add the 3750X to make member 8 and hope it performs well.  I have 50+ 3750 stacks working great on our campus, but only a couple that are this big.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Looking for feedback from other organizations that have large 3750 stacks.  I've got one stack of (8) 3750's composed of (6) 3750G's and (2) plain 3750's.  This particular stack is usually unresponsive to SNMP queries and often fails to write config when we make changes.

This is a typical behaviour when you stack seven or more 3750 to form a single stack.  My rule-of-thumb is six in a stack.  No more.

Part of my probably here is likely the plain 3750's that always boot faster and come up as the master. 

Alot of factors go into this and it's got nothing to do with what model.  Heck, 3750/3750G boots faster, 3750E is slower and 3750X is the slowest.  You want it to speed up the bootup?  Make sure you manually configure switch priority so the stack doesn't have to go into a stack election.

Kindly compare your 3750E/X costing with a 4510R+E with Sup7E.  There are cases I've seen if one where to stack three or more 3750X, it is better to get a 4500R+E with Sup7E.

The 3750E/3750X has a backplane of 32 Gbps (full duplex) while the 4500R+E with Sup7E has a backplane of 40 Gbps (full duplex).

Hey Leo,

Digging up an old question here, but do you have any links to documentation stating that you should limit the stacking to 6? I'm have a client that is having similiar issues to the original post, where they have 9 switches in the stack, and they are having big problems with SNMP, and SSH sessions seem to hang during troubleshooting processes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

I don't think here is doc that says only use 6 , people are talking from experieince. Cisco has never been able to get a good handle on the memory leak issues on the stacks when you start getting large stacks . It  shows up as snmp,  telnet and ssh issues where you won't be able to login or memory low messages  and the only fix is then to reload the entire stack .

but do you have any links to documentation stating that you should limit the stacking to 6?

No official documentation that the "best practices" should be up to 6.  As what Glen has stated, I speak from experience.

I'm have a client that is having similiar issues to the original post, where they have 9 switches in the stack, and they are having big problems with SNMP, and SSH sessions seem to hang during troubleshooting processes.

One of the things I've seen with SNMP leaks is people enable ALL the SNMP traps.  My recommendation is only enable the SNMP traps that you want and disable the rest.

Another thing, IOS version.  For all 3750-series switches, I would recommend 12.2(55)SE8 for either Layer 2 or Layer 3.  If you need to go to a higher level then I'd go for 15.0(2)SE4.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

ieee1284c
Level 1
Level 1

Following up on my original post from some time ago:

For the stack of (7) 3750E's that we needed to add one more to, we did go ahead with adding the 8th and have had no issues.  For the other mixed stack of older 3750's, I broke that stack in half and also manually set switch priority to ensure that the plain 3750 models were not being elected stack master.  All is running well.

jack.riley1
Level 1
Level 1

You may be running into this, the bigger your stack gets the more you will see this. We have it on site when a backup runs & the backup appliance execute a 'wr' remotely. Seems like a CPU spike is causing the momentary lapse in available memory in the management plane.

High CPU During a Configuration Change

If Catalyst 3750 Switches are connected in a stack, and if there are any configuration changes made to a switch, the hulc running config process wakes up and generates a new copy of the running configuration. Then, it sends to all the switches in the stack. The new running configuration is CPU-intensive. Therefore, the CPU usage is high when building a new running configuration process and when forwarding the new configurations to other switches. However, this high CPU usage should exist only for the same amount of time it takes to perform the building configuration step of the show running-configuration command.

There is no need of a workaround for this problem. The CPU usage is normally high in these situations.

HTH - Jack

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: