Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack Version Mismatch

I have a vendor that installed 2 new 3750X switches in an existing stack of 2 3750G switches.  The stack as never worked due to a version mismatch.  I have been trying for days to get this stack to work but have been unsuccessful.  

Currently versions are as follows:

Switch     Ports      Model                           SW Version                           SW Image

1             12        WS-3750G-12S           12.2(55)SE10                       C3750-IPBASEK9-M

*2             12        WS-3750G-12S           12.2(55)SE8                        C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

3              0         WS-3750X-12S             12.2(58)SE2                        C3750-UNIVERSALK9-M

4              0         WS-3750X-12S             12.2(58)SE2                        C3750-UNIVERSALK9-M

I have tried 4 new software versions on the 2 3750X switches but all of them give me the same error, Hardware not Supported by firmware.

I have tried the following versions:

c3750-IPservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin (same as on master)

c3750-IPbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin (same as on #1)

c3750e-IPbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin

c3750e-IPbasek9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin

What am I doing wrong?  What SW image file should I be using.

Also, I would prefer not to upgrade the 3750G switches.  These are critical switches and it would be tough to have downtime on them.

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stacking Rules :

1. All should be same version before you stack them together - some one need to check before adding.

2. if you think below switch is master and you like to keep same one with out downtime.

*2 12 WS-3750G-12S 12.2(55)SE8 C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

3. turn off reset of the device which is not part of stack due to mismatch.

4. downgrade to the version as master switch (look the release notes and downgrade steps)

5. make sure change the switch numbering, priority.

6. connect  the stack cable - and Power on the switches.

Notes :

take the configuration out of the box

connect the console cable and capture the logs

suggest to do this in maintenance window to cover up yourself.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't even bother.
Switch 1 and 2 are running on two different license feature.
How was the 3750X able to join the stack is not possible.
The only way is to find two IOS files: One for the 3750G-12S and another for the 3750X.
You need to find the file that has an file extension of TAR.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Your 3750Gs are the -12S variant. That particular model offers SDM templates unique to that model which will not interoperate with any other 3750 model. So, if you want to mix other 3750 models in the stack, you need to insure the 3750G-12Ss are not using their unique to that model SDM templates.

It's possible to run different IOS versions in a 3750 stack, but there are requirements for compatibility. The easiest way to insure that is to run identical IOS versions.

It's also possible to run different feature sets on stack members too (although I'm not as certain about mixing StackWise and StackWisePlus models, I recall it working), but ideally, they too should be the same. (Of course, not wanting to do this is usually due to the additional cost for upgrading to a higher feature set on all stack members when functionally it's not required - although it's wise to have a least two units in the stacks with better feature set [for redundancy]).

You mention trying original series 3750 IOS on the X models. That won't work.

If you don't need/use IP Service features, and if you like 12.2(55) (a very solid version, although no longer be updated, I recall), you might try the latest common IPBase release for it on all your stack members.

As you mention you don't want to disrupt your two 3750Gs, you might try 12.2(55)SE8 IPBase or Universal on your two -X models.

Thanks for the help. I tried 12.2(55) SE8 but still didn't work. It didn't fail this time, instead just never finished booting up. I let it run all night and it was still trying to boot up this morning. I'm beginning to think that the only way this will work is to upgrade the 2 existing switches to 12.2(58)

I recall (?) the 12.2(58) not being one of the best, especially early in its release history (i.e. your current SE2).  @Leo Laohoo might comment on that.

@DerekRhodes64553 wrote:
Thanks for the help. I tried 12.2(55) SE8 but still didn't work. It didn't fail this time, instead just never finished booting up. I let it run all night and it was still trying to boot up this morning. I'm beginning to think that the only way this will work is to upgrade the 2 existing switches to 12.2(58)

Get the files I've requested:  One TAR for the 3750G-12S and one TAR for the 3750X.  Make sure both are the same version.  Try the latest 15.0(2)SE train.  

I know a trick to upgrade both in the same stack.  

@Joseph W. Doherty, I would not trust 12.2(58)SE.  That is a horrible release and links to this release should've been removed a long time ago.  

I am  having some old Device still in the network 12S last 2 years they are stable with the version i have mentioned, no other issues reported (they out of the rack next few weeks replacing with Cat 9300) - may be this help you.

WS-C3750X-12S 15.2(4)E5 C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

BB

I got it to work with 12.2(55)SE5.tar.  I am very new to this and had been using the .bin.  Didn't think I needed the .tar to install with CLI.  Anyways, now I have SDM mismatch.  I'm going to change the 12S switches to desktop SDM template next week when I can afford some downtime.  Hopefully that will do it.

Sure as long as you match all of them, that resolve the issue.

make sure you connect the console cable and capture all the information you can if you have issue or you can refer in the future.

BB

Ah! When using .bin, did you update bootvar? (Something a TAR install will do automatically, I recall.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card