Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X Bootloader

DJX995
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 3750X running:

Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(2)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2014 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 26-Jun-14 11:52 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3750E boot loader
BOOTLDR: C3750E Boot Loader (C3750X-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

xxxxxxxxxx uptime is 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 08:17:14 EDT Wed Jul 2 2014
System image file is "flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-2.E/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-2.E.bin"
Last reload reason: Unknown reason

The bootloader is 12.2.53r.SE2

I've seen other 3750X's with bootloader 12.2.58r.SE

How can I get the updated bootloader.

I'm running the latest IOS.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Naveen Venkateshaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi, 

I would suggest trying this in TEST environment first, in
order to avoid any issues.Herewith the procedure to upgrade Boot loader.
1. Copy the bootloader (c3750-hboot-m) onto flash:

2. Configure "manual boot" on the switch. This will force it to boot
into the "switch:" prompt.

3. Reload the switch. It should boot to the 'switch:' prompt.

4. Execute "set_bs rw" this allows the boot sector to be overwritten

5. Execute "copy flash:c3750-hboot-m bs:". This copies the bootloader
onto the boot sector

6. Execute "set_param".

7. Execute "set_bs ro". This put the boot sector back into read only
Mode

8. Execute "reset". 

It is very important that you execute reset here rather than just
booting or the device may stop functioning completely.

The device should reload back to the 'switch:' prompt

9. Execute "boot". The switch will boot up.

10. Unconfigure "boot manual" with "no boot manual" from config mode.

Regards,

Naveen

***rate if it is helpful***

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Thank you.

Your instructions are great.

However, my main question is how can I obtain the new boot-loader?

Thanks @naveen
i have export two Bootloader from my Switches....

Thanks & Regards

I'm intrigued to know how you discovered this?  I posted a while ago about updating the bootloader on a 3560X.  I managed to force an upgrade 15.0(2.1.15)SE1 by enabling FIPS mode and then rebooting.  This same technique also works on 3750X's.  However even the latest IOS 15.2(4)E10 only includes this 15.0(2.1.15)SE1 bootloader.

I'd like to upgrade the bootloader on my 3560X's and 3750X's to whatever is the latest if possible.  Do you have the equivalent of C3750X-HBOOT-M_15.2(3r)E for the 3560X?

Andy

Hello Andy,
I only took care of this problem because I have a 3750X that has HW Rev. V02 and it did not update the bootloader by itself. (max. Relase 15.0.2.SE)
all higher did not want to start, this is also a topic that has already been described here, and I could understand 1-1.

see: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/problem-getting-ios-15-0-2-to-run-on-3750-x-48ps-s/mp/2080417/highlight/true#M236570

Some other Swichtes of mine had the "15.2 (3r) E" bootloader with HW Rev. 07 ...
manual extraction and manual update is very easy,
Extract:
"Copy bs: to tftp:" + IP + file name (also no problem in online mode)
Import / update:
see post 2 by Naveen

I think in the switch generation (3560X & 3750X) the bootloaders will not really come from the image because
I have not yet seen a switch that did it by itself, unless it was an old HW version with a very old image.

From HW Rev. 03 I can always find the "12.2 (58r) SE1".

But if you have a switch with a very old bootloader, you can try to flash it directly to the current IOS release.

Or you can find a switch that has a new bootloader from delivery. then you can extract it.

Best regards
Ronny

I've just had one of my lab 3750X's fail to boot.  It starts to boot and then hangs during the image loading:

Using driver version 3 for media type 2
Base ethernet MAC Address: 4c:4e:35:bd:e0:80
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
Initializing Flash...
mifs[2]: 12 files, 1 directories
mifs[2]: Total bytes     :    2097152
mifs[2]: Bytes used      :     833536
mifs[2]: Bytes available :    1263616
mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[3]: 1 files, 1 directories
mifs[3]: Total bytes     :    4194304
mifs[3]: Bytes used      :     206848
mifs[3]: Bytes available :    3987456
mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 2 seconds.
mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[4]: Total bytes     :     524288
mifs[4]: Bytes used      :       9216
mifs[4]: Bytes available :     515072
mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes     :     524288
mifs[5]: Bytes used      :       9216
mifs[5]: Bytes available :     515072
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[6]: 579 files, 13 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes     :   57671680
mifs[6]: Bytes used      :   57589248
mifs[6]: Bytes available :      82432
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 26 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
done.
Verifying image ucode0:usbdos.dl....
Image passed digital signature verification
Verifying bootloader image........
BootLoader self verification passed
Loading "flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E10/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E10.bin"...Verifying image flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E10/c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E10.bin......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Image passed digital signature verification
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I've attempted to update the bootloader manually with the files that were supplied earlier in this thread, however it fails:

switch:  copy flash:C3750X-HBOOT-M_12.2(58r)SE1 bs:
Verifying image copied to bs:........
Image copied to bs: failed verification

I think this is because the current bootloader is the FIPS one that gets installed when you upgrade the IOS to 15.02x or later, however I thought the later Bootloaders were FIPS certified.

I think this 3750X is for the bin.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card