Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x Switch Stack of 4 to split

z_a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 4 x 48 port switch stack of 3750x and have been tasked to split the task how would it be best to split it.

SW1 IS MASTER

I was thinking of moving sw3 and sw4 and make it its own stack but I have no spare ports as backup if I do it this way I will have 42 ports free on sw1 and sw2 and 42 ports UP ports to move from SW3 and SW4.

If I do Sw1 and Sw4 as one stack as Sw4 has more spare ports how do I renumber the stack and change from gi4/01 to gi2/0/1 whilst switch 2 is still in the stack.

What is the best way of doing it without having to reboot the whole stack?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Easy way to Make 4 switch stack to 2 different stack.

1. Leave Switch 1 and 2 as it is, so there is no downtime required.

2.  Move the Active connection from SW3 and Sw4 to consolidate to SW1 and SW2

3. Once that is Moved to SW1 and SW2.

4. Turn Off SW3 and SW4 ( remove the Stack cabled behind, Close Stack Ring SW1 and SW2

5. Take out SW3 and SW4, Build a New Stack. ( each switch renumber manually 

SW3#switch 3 renumber 1 
SW4#switch 4 renumber 2

save the config

6. Offline build the Stack SW3 and SW4 (now they will be SW1 and SW2)

7. configure you new stack as per the requirement link uplink port, VLAN config.

8. Save the config

9. Connect uplink to respected switch, Turn on new Stack and Test it.

Hope this steps  make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi
Thank you so much to coming back to me so quickly.
I was thinking the same but the only issue with that is if any port is faulty i dont have resiliancy as i have 42 active ports on sw1 and sw2 and 42 up ports on sw3 and sw4 to move to sw1 and sw2.
How do i remove the stack wise between the switches and does the config remain once  i remove switch 4 and 4 and do i need to configure the config again on sw3 and sw4
Also between both stack switches do i need an ethernet connection between both the switches?

Can you also do SW1 and SW4 as one stack and re number switch to sw2 or does switch 2 have to be shut down before this can he done and change the priority or does the whole stack need to be rebooted for changes to take effect?

If your SW1 and SW2 is fulll, then the conversation here ends, there is no point to split the switch to 2 different switches since you do not have future requirement.

without reload and service interruption you can remove SW3 and SW4 is the easy way.

If you turn off the Whole stack in the Maintenance window, you can what ever you like of the combination.

Make sure new Stack if you like to interact with the existing switch stack, either your uplink to core or dist switch.

Note: Suggest making a small network diagram of what you looking to do, so you get an idea also easy to implement rather than illustrating over words.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
No sure I understand what switches you wish to remove, but I would say at the end of the day you have the same amount of ports no mater what you remove.

If the stack at present has a full closed stack ring and sw1 is master with sw2 backup then it would be easier to remove sw3-4 so not to disrupt traffic for sw1/2 users or start renumbering switches 

1. powerdown sw3/4
  2. disconnect stack their cables and close stack ring again between sw1/2
  3. unprovision sw3/4 from stack
    no switch 3 provision xxxx
    no switch 4 provision xxxx
  4. reset "old" sw3/4 switches and rebuiild them as a new stack

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi

Thank you for coming back to me

Does the switch need to be rebooted if you unprovision switch 3 and switch 4

Also once you remove switch 3 and switch 4 it loses the config right and you have to reconfigure it from scratch

Also if you renumber a switch do you have to reboot the whole stack for it to come into effect or can you just reboot the one you made change on.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card