cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 IOS Load from USB

jvasilko
Level 1
Level 1

I need to load an IOS onto a 3850 due to a data corruption on the device.  Can I just copy the IOS file onto a standard USB stick, or does it require some odd file format?  Anything else I need to be aware of?

3 Replies 3

Hi

Yes, you can use any standard USB memory stick, but filesystem format must be FAT.

Also this link can be useful.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/using-a-usb-flash-drive-with-your-cisco-router/

Hope it is useful 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not all USB sticks and sizes are supported.  Don't use anything bigger than 16 Gb.  I've had good success rates when using a Samsung Bar (image below).Samsung Bar 16 GbSamsung Bar 16 Gb

carlosgfranco
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else out there having this issue: The drive needs to be formatted as FAT (a.k.a FAT16).

FAT can only be used on partitions of up to 4GB so if you have a flashdrive larger than that, you'll need to use diskpart (or your preferred partition software) to create a partition of max 4GB. Then you will be able to format that partition as FAT and the router will recognise it.

These are the diskpart commands on Windows. THIS WILL WIPE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB PENDRIVE:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <INDEX OF USB DISK>
clean
create part primary size=4000
active

Done! Now you can use Windows Explorer to format the drive as FAT.

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card