cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 switch

mugiekrick
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3850 switch and it has no config. One port connect to modem( router) and one port connect to my laptop but my laptop doesn’t get ip from dhcp and when i set ip manually, laptop doesn’t connect to router. I want use this switch as hub What should i do? Thanks

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the Full model of the Switch ?

Does your Cable Modem support Gigport connection or only FastEthernet ? Do you see on the Switch ports are connected and status up ?

Basically if the Switch is out of the box that should work as expected since everything in VLAN1 (cisco default)

Since this is not working as you intent to work, then we need to investigate what configuration on the switch.

Can you post below output :

1. show version

2. show run

3 show interface status (when you connected PC and Modem) - also let us know what port modem connected and what port PC connected.

4. show interface Gig x/x (where the PC and Modem connected both output)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ashish.kushwaha
Level 1
Level 1

to convert a layer 3 port to a layer 2 Port on a switch, you can use the below command and check.

switchport

or 

if you want to use switch as L2 and not L3 you should disable the routing ie. "no ip routing". command on switch

Ashish K
***Please Rate Helpful Responses***

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello  mugiekrick,

you want use Switch as hub...you no need to anything with your switch. you already mentioned it is with default  configuration.

Do you know the router ip address ?

Both  laptop and router should use same network ip address...

If you don't know the router ip address...Please share router company and model number...

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Hello

@mugiekrick wrote:

I have 3850 switch and it has no config. One port connect to modem( router) and one port connect to my laptop but my laptop doesn’t get ip from dhcp and when i set ip manually, laptop doesn’t connect to router. I want use this switch as hub What should i do? Thanks

Do you receive ip address allocation if you attach your laptop directly into the modem if yes then have you enabled the two ports on the switch that the modem and laptop attach into so to allow communication?

Switch
enable
conf t

interface  x/x
switchport host
no shut
do wr 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

it should work 
when you config Laptop manually can you ping 

I want to see reply came from which IP

There is much that we do not know about this environment and that impacts our ability to give good advice. As a start can you tell us what kind (and what vendor) is the modem/router? Is the modem/router set up to provide IP address using DHCP? (if you connect laptop directly to modem/router, with laptop configured for dynamic address/dhcp does the laptop receive an IP address?)

Would you post the output of these commands on your switch:

show version

show interface status

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card