Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 vs 3750 configurations

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I will be configuring a 4503 (native IOS) and wonder what the major differences between that and a 3750 configuration might be? Any specifics or generalities will be appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

not a whole lot is different.

The port numbering is different. In 3750 you have 1/0/1, 1/0/2.... 2/0/1, 2/0/2, while in 4500 you will have 2/1, 2/2...... 3/1, 3/2

the features might be different depending on feature sets you have, for example routing protocol capabilities

View solution in original post

Hi,

I will need to configure something to allow RTSP (TCP port 554) to have priority over other protocols. What might you recommend?

since you have a non-E series, you are limited to implementing QoS in HW i.e "bandwidth","priority" commands are not available in Sup V-10GE and lower. Those commands are normally used in a policy-map to allocate bandwidth and LLQ. You will have to use them in the hardware.

you can definelty mark the packets using layer4 as well. create an access-list that matches the ports. find below a sample config for your requirement

ip access-list extended IMPORTANT

permit tcp any any eq 554

permit tcp any eq 554 any

class-map rtsp-traffic

match ip access-group  IMPORTANT

policy-map rstp-traffic-policy

class  rtsp-traffic

set ip dscp AF41

interface vlan 300

service-policy input  rstp-traffic-policy          vlan-based Qos

Other than netflow, what other tools are at my disposal to deal with identifying and locating network issues caused by end devices?

Netflow is a good tool , however, it hasn't helped me a great deal on a 4500 series sup V-10GE. the  new sup6E don't even have this capability :-(

Would vlan and trunking setups be the same? Etherchannel?

Yep, same deal

How different is the IOS from a router's IOS (another broad question)?

Well, essentially its a switch, so it is different than a router IOS. since you have worked on a 3750 , you should be ok

QoS on 4k's is different to 3750's. I would recommend some reading on" Quality of Service on Catalyst 4500" . search for it on google

HTH,

Regards,

Kishore

Please rate if helpful

Hi,

Thanks for the ratings. If you have ordered a WS-X45-SUP7-E, your good. You can run IOS on this SUP. It's the latest  in the 4500 family of SUP's

In regards to Netflow on SUP V-10GE, SUP V, it wouldn't show you the source and destination but the ports. It wouldn't classify separate L3 interfaces and consider the whole box as one, so if you have say 4 SVI's, it would only show 1 SVI. When you use QoS, it would show the markings but you wudnt know for which vlan interface its marking the traffic for and things like that.

But, Sup7E seems to have filled in those gaps. I guess, you can easily deploy QoS using policy-maps and use LLQ and Bandwidth statements within the policy-maps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/data_sheet_c78-612364.html

HTH,

Regards,

Kishore

Please rate if helpful

9 Replies 9

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

not a whole lot is different.

The port numbering is different. In 3750 you have 1/0/1, 1/0/2.... 2/0/1, 2/0/2, while in 4500 you will have 2/1, 2/2...... 3/1, 3/2

the features might be different depending on feature sets you have, for example routing protocol capabilities

Thanks for your comments.

Gurpreet Kochar
Level 1
Level 1

lcaruso,

The scope of the question you have asked is very broad.

Is there any specific configuration you are talking about.

For example, qos configuration is way different than a 3750

For you reference, following are the configuration guides for both the platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/53SG/configuration/config.html

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_35_se/configuration/guide/scg.html

great point about qos

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Good point.

I will need to configure something to allow RTSP (TCP port 554) to have priority over other protocols. What might you recommend?

What else if anything might I do to optimze RTSP on this switch?

Also, until problems in the current network are identified and resolved, I will need to employ broadcast and multicast suppression on a per port basis. If you have any experience with that, can you suggest some reasonable threshold levels?

Other than netflow, what other tools are at my disposal to deal with identifying and locating network issues caused by end devices?

I've only done layer 3 switching on a 3750, so I'm not familiar with the layers 4-7 options and setups and whether I could use them in a video streaming application that does not use load balancing.

I know I need to read the guides--guess I'm just looking for some suggestions, heuristics, etc before I hunker down and read the entire configuration guide, a bunch of books, these forums, and what not.

Thanks.

Hi,

since you have a non-E series, you are limited to implementing QoS in HW i.e "bandwidth","priority" commands are not available in Sup V-10GE and lower. Those commands are normally used in a policy-map to allocate bandwidth and LLQ. You will have to use them in the hardware.

you can definelty mark the packets using layer4 as well. create an access-list that matches the ports. find below a sample config for your requirement

ip access-list extended IMPORTANT

permit tcp any any eq 554

permit tcp any eq 554 any

class-map rtsp-traffic

match ip access-group  IMPORTANT

policy-map rstp-traffic-policy

class  rtsp-traffic

set ip dscp AF41

interface vlan 300

service-policy input  rstp-traffic-policy          vlan-based Qos

Netflow is a good tool , however, it hasn't helped me a great deal on a 4500 series sup V-10GE. the  new sup6E don't even have this capability :-(

Yep, same deal

Well, essentially its a switch, so it is different than a router IOS. since you have worked on a 3750 , you should be ok

QoS on 4k's is different to 3750's. I would recommend some reading on" Quality of Service on Catalyst 4500" . search for it on google

HTH,

Regards,

Kishore

Please rate if helpful

Thank you kindly for taking the time and effort to offer a fine reply.

since you have a non-E series

I'm pretty sure they ordered a WS-X45-SUP7-E, Catalyst 4500 E-Series Supervisor, 848Gbps. Was I mistaken to say IOS would run on this Sup?

Netflow is a good tool , however, it hasn't helped me a
great deal on a 4500 series sup V-10GE. the  new sup6E don't even have
this capability :-(

Can you elaborate briefly why netflow hasn't helped a great deal? What are you using to collect and display netflow data?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the ratings. If you have ordered a WS-X45-SUP7-E, your good. You can run IOS on this SUP. It's the latest  in the 4500 family of SUP's

In regards to Netflow on SUP V-10GE, SUP V, it wouldn't show you the source and destination but the ports. It wouldn't classify separate L3 interfaces and consider the whole box as one, so if you have say 4 SVI's, it would only show 1 SVI. When you use QoS, it would show the markings but you wudnt know for which vlan interface its marking the traffic for and things like that.

But, Sup7E seems to have filled in those gaps. I guess, you can easily deploy QoS using policy-maps and use LLQ and Bandwidth statements within the policy-maps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/data_sheet_c78-612364.html

HTH,

Regards,

Kishore

Please rate if helpful

Thanks much.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card