cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948-10GE 1gb X2 support?

randerson
Level 1
Level 1

I need to terminate a multi-mode gig fiber connection into a 4948-10GE switch (X2 10gb slots) but it appears that the switch does not support the twingig convertors. Has anyone done anything like this? I'd like to terminate a 1gb point-to-point fiber connection straight into the (layer3) 4948 switch so I don't need to use a router.

If I can not get a 1gb converter, can I set the speed of an X2-10GB-SR gbic down to 1gb? I know this isn't possible with the 10gb SFPs (I've tried to set the speed on an SFP-10G-LRM sfp down to 1gb and the switch didn't recognize it).

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross,

I have used a lots of media converters.  They work just fine.  The best and the most reliable once are sold by Transition. Networks.  All you need is a SC to copper (10/100/1000) converter. Make sure to specify the fiber side to be Multimode or single mode (depending on your need).

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Landing/mediaconversion/conversion.aspx

Using a different device like a D-link or any other device is not much different than using a media converter. 

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can try using a Media converter and convert the fiber interface to copper, than connect the copper to the 4948 if you have any copper interface available.

If I can not get a 1gb converter, can I set the speed of an X2-10GB-SR  gbic down to 1gb? I know this isn't possible with the 10gb SFPs (I've  tried to set the speed on an SFP-10G-LRM sfp down to 1gb and the switch  didn't recognize it).

Unfortunately, you can't change the speed.  Unlike copper interfaces, the speed for the fiber interfaces is not negotiable.

HTH

Thanks for the suggestion Reza - I haven't actually ever used a fiber to copper converter so I don't know of the exact implications. Would something like a D-Link DMC-700SC work (850nm/SC to 1000Base-SX)? It looks like the specs match up with what we need (like what we would need if the fiber was going directly into the 4948-10GE)

Ross,

I have used a lots of media converters.  They work just fine.  The best and the most reliable once are sold by Transition. Networks.  All you need is a SC to copper (10/100/1000) converter. Make sure to specify the fiber side to be Multimode or single mode (depending on your need).

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Landing/mediaconversion/conversion.aspx

Using a different device like a D-link or any other device is not much different than using a media converter. 

HTH

Reza

Reza,

I have to connect two copper based decives and only physical media available is Fiber. Do you think, using media convertor (fiber to copper) on both ends would work fine without any attenuation?

Thanks!

Yes, it will work just fine. I have used them many times. Use the same link I provided in this treat to buy the media converter.  You will need a power outlet to plug in the power adapter for the MC.

Good Luck

Reza

Thanks, appreciate it.

Thanks for the input Reza - points awarded. We ordered a Transition Stand-Alone MC (SGETF10390-110). This will be converting our MMF fiber (LC) into 1000Base-T copper which will term into a 4948-10GE. Crossing my fingers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card