Views
Helpful
Replies

881 Newbie

alex-grierson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, First post!

So i've acquired a 881 ADVSEC in the hope of going through CCNA at my own pace (and also to use as a home router). It came from a previous deployment so i've been able to reset the password, upload the current release of firmware (15.2-3), boot the ADVIPSERVICES image and mess around with a few labs.

All started to go downhill when I did a "erase /all nvram:" command. I was told this was the best way to start a fresh with the current IOS, but it seems that it wasn't the best way at all, not only erasing the current config but also the IOS that I thought I had correctly updated. Did I do something wrong when I installed the new IOS? Is there any obvious reason that being a newbie, I am missing why it has reverted back to the OS that came with it when I bought it and not the latest version I upgraded to?

Would be good to find out now if i'm doing things to wrong way and learn from the beginning.

Also, i've since done a DIR on the internal flash and not only found the latest IOS that I copied to it, but a bunch of older ones from 2009-2011 which I'm pretty sure I won't be needing and what look like older configuration files and packages (maybe from the previous deployment?). Is there a way to give the router a complete erase (flash included) and just load the current software release and start from scratch?

Be kind! Thanks...

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Also, i've since done a DIR on the internal flash and not only found the latest IOS that I copied to it, but a bunch of older ones from 2009-2011 which I'm pretty sure I won't be needing and what look like older configuration files and packages (maybe from the previous deployment?). Is there a way to give the router a complete erase (flash included) and just load the current software release and start from scratch?

The command "format flash:" will completely erase your flash.

All started to go downhill when I did a "erase /all nvram:" command. I was told this was the best way to start a fresh with the current IOS, but it seems that it wasn't the best way at all, not only erasing the current config but also the IOS that I thought I had correctly updated.

I have never heard of this before (and I believe this is not correct).  Erase the NVRAM means your startup config and other files are erased.  The IOS is stored in the flash and not in the NVRAM.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card