cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9200L SFP GPON ONU ( ONT )

nikolayv
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a 9200L-24P-4X stand alone switch, I want to put a SFP ONT ( ONU ) module from my ISP, its a NOKIA/ALCATEL Branded, today its works in SFP-RJ45 Media converted, I wants to put it directly to Switch and put in in dedicated VLAN to Pfsense VM, but the switch didn't want to accept this module, its shows "module not supported" message, i tried to do a "service unsupported-transceiver" ( its displays warning about 3rd party modules and support ) and "no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid" the command it accepted without errors, but nothing happens, I still didn't see it in inventory and link is down, I also tried with other non-Cisco SFP modules, its also doesn't works, its looks like a "service unsupported-transceiver" command is broken, the firmware is 16.12.7, I upgraded firmware to latest 17.x.x, but nothing, also downgraded a firmware to "fuji", the command didn't recognized at all in Fuji firmware.

did anyone  have a solution for using a non-Cisco ( the using of Alcatel module is Mandatory for ISP ) in 9200L series ?

its looks stupid, I have sfp slots free in Switch, but I have a Media converter for using SFP module.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what SFP Model you trying to use ? what is the Logs show when you insert the SFP ?

can you post below information from Cat 9200

show version

show run interface x/x

show interface x/x

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

first, cisco do not recommend to use 3rd party transceivers. in your case, you are trying to use different technology which needs special OS feature support to enable. GPON is ISP level technology which supports in limited devices. i dont think that will support in cisco catalyst switches. there is special switch models crated for GPON termination.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-pon-series/index.html#~models

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...its looks like a "service unsupported-transceiver" command is broken, 

That's not a good way to look at it , meaning the none Cisco SFP's are >never< guaranteed to work , despite  these commands that 'could' make them work. 

>...( the using of Alcatel module is Mandatory for ISP ) ...

- For starters it seems strange  that a switch would be connected in that  way to an ISP-device, perhaps you could start with an intermediate router.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card