Views
Helpful
Replies

About Routers

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Hi I have some questions,

When we talk about Routers interfaces, does "WAN" interface and "Internet Port" means the same or both can be different?

---

Posted by WebUser Fahad Ahmed from Cisco Support Community App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I think something got a little bit jumbled in your quotation, but I belive you are asking if the terms "WAN" and "Internet port" mean the same thing.

If that is the case the answer is sort of muddy. Technically the answer is no, WAN means wide area network and Internet mean connected to the public Internet backbone. What wide area network really means is a connection between sites. So if you had a company that had a remote site or office that it wanted to connect directly back to it's main site that would be a WAN connection. However: real WAN connections are becoming more and more rare. Most companies nowadays will use the Internet as a substitute for real WAN links. Much of the time this will be a VPN tunnel over the Internet so the tunnel is really the WAN connection and it rides over the Internet connection.

That said some people just throw trems like this arround and who knows what they are really impling when they use them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I think something got a little bit jumbled in your quotation, but I belive you are asking if the terms "WAN" and "Internet port" mean the same thing.

If that is the case the answer is sort of muddy. Technically the answer is no, WAN means wide area network and Internet mean connected to the public Internet backbone. What wide area network really means is a connection between sites. So if you had a company that had a remote site or office that it wanted to connect directly back to it's main site that would be a WAN connection. However: real WAN connections are becoming more and more rare. Most companies nowadays will use the Internet as a substitute for real WAN links. Much of the time this will be a VPN tunnel over the Internet so the tunnel is really the WAN connection and it rides over the Internet connection.

That said some people just throw trems like this arround and who knows what they are really impling when they use them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card