Helpful
Replies

Access list without wildcard mask

mh.gorjizadeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello dear friends .

It's my first question on Cisco forum. 

I would like to know when we write some standard access list without wild card mask which range of ip addresses will be proceed?

for example take a look at this one:

access-list 3 deny 10.17.32.0

so which range of ip addresses will be proceed ?

or this one 

access-list 2 permit host 172.16.14.0

Thanks for your response 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In standard ACL,  mask is optional meaning if no wildcard-mask is configured it will take as 0.0.0.0 i.e. eual to host.

from cisco:

To specify a large number of individual addresses more easily, you can omit the wildcard if it is all zeros. Thus, the following two configuration commands are identical in effect:

access-list 2 permit 36.48.0.3

access-list 2 permit 36.48.0.3  0.0.0.0

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

In standard ACL,  mask is optional meaning if no wildcard-mask is configured it will take as 0.0.0.0 i.e. eual to host.

from cisco:

To specify a large number of individual addresses more easily, you can omit the wildcard if it is all zeros. Thus, the following two configuration commands are identical in effect:

access-list 2 permit 36.48.0.3

access-list 2 permit 36.48.0.3  0.0.0.0

I got it 

but if we are talking about for example :

access-list 3 deny 10.17.32.0 

does our router consider this ip address which is ip address of a network as a single ip address ?

in other meaning  is it equal to :

access-list 3 deny 10.17.32.0  0.0.0.0 

Thank you 

Yes correct. Both statement do the same work.

Oh OK i got it.

I just forgot that specially in point to point links we can also set ip addresses with 0 in forth octet.

I appreciate your for your help and respond.

Thank you a lot 

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12509746/access-list-without-wildcard-mask#comment-10595111

A post in this discussion has been removed due to possible misconduct. Please refer to the CSC terms of use for more details. 

Posts in this discussion have been modified due to possible misconduct. Please refer to the CSC terms of use for more details. https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/29951/cisco-support-community-acceptable-use-agreement

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card