ACL question

raoul2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am having a go at configuring ACL. The requirements are:

- I use a layer 3 switch for routing

- I have 4 Vlans on my network, Vlan1, Vlan2, Vlan3 and Vlan4

- Devices on Vlan4 should not be accessed by any device outside Vlan4, except for one device (e.g 192.168.4.22) that needs to be accessed by all Vlans

I have created the following extended ACL:

IP access list 100 permit ip any 192.168.4.22 0.0.0.0

(deny all will be implict)

and applied it on interface vlan4:

interface Vlan4
ip access-group 100 in

Does this do the job?

Many thanks

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

I am having a go at configuring ACL. The requirements are:

- I use a layer 3 switch for routing

- I have 4 Vlans on my network, Vlan1, Vlan2, Vlan3 and Vlan4

- Devices on Vlan4 should not be accessed by any device outside Vlan4, except for one device (e.g 192.168.4.22) that needs to be accessed by all Vlans

I have created the following extended ACL:

IP access list 100 permit ip any 192.168.4.22 0.0.0.0

(deny all will be implict)

and applied it on interface vlan4:

interface Vlan4
ip access-group 100 in

Does this do the job?

Many thanks

Hi,

You just change the acl with the below rule

IP access list 100 permit ip  host 192.168.4.22 any   and deny will be implicit when you apply on the vlan interface 4 in direction.

So with the above acl only host can communite with any network rest will be denied.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Shelly

I don't seem to have the privileges to access the URLs. Could you please copy and paste the content.

Many thanks

Raoul

Hi Ganesh

I think you misunderstood the requirements. What is needed:

vlan1, vlan2, vlan3  can access ONLY 192.168.4.22 on vlan4. All devices on Vlan4 can communicate with each other.

Thanks

Raoul

Yeah, Private Vlan's is what you need for what you are trying to do. I will attach the pdf version.

Try this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk814/technologies_configuration_example09186a008017acad.shtml

or search for :

"Configuring Isolated Private VLANs on Catalyst Switches" on Cisco.com.

Shelley.

Hi Ganesh

I think you misunderstood the requirements. What is needed:

vlan1, vlan2, vlan3  can access ONLY 192.168.4.22 on vlan4. All devices on Vlan4 can communicate with each other.

Thanks

Raoul

Hi Raoul,

Fo that you need to create different acl for vlan 1,vlan2 and vlan3 like for example

access-list 101 permit ip any host 192.168.4.22
access-list 101 deny  ip any vlan 4 subnet
access-list 101 permit ip any any

interface vlan 1
ip access-group 101 in

Same way you can create for other vlan2 and vlan 3 and apply in IN direction.But if you are comfortable with private vlans you can also go check out the below matirx supported for private vlan with cisco switches series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080094830.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Dear Ganesh ,

I was following this Discussion and analyzing carefully your Posts to increase my ACL Conf. Skills , If you do not mind ,- untill Raoul update us whether what you suggested has resolved his Problem - i will just review below what i understood from your last Post , and Please update us with your comments:

According to your Post , If we Applied the following under Interface Vlan 1:

access-list 101 permit ip any host 192.168.4.22 ==== Line 1
access-list 101 deny  ip any vlan 4 subnet  ===== line 2
access-list 101 permit ip any any ==== Line 3

Then the Scenarios are as follows :

1 - Host from VLAN 1 trying to communicate with IP address 192.168.4.22 ( VLAN 4 ) will be matched with line 1 and will be Permitted.

2- Host from VLAN 1 trying to communicate with Host from VLAN 4 ( other than 192.168.4.22 ) will be matched with line 2 and will be Denied.

3 - Host from VLAN 2 trying to communicate with Host from VLAN 2 or VLAN 3 will be matched with Line 3 and will be Permitted.

Are the above Scenarios Right ?

Regards

Dear Ganesh ,

I was following this Discussion and analyzing carefully your Posts to increase my ACL Conf. Skills , If you do not mind ,- untill Raoul update us whether what you suggested has resolved his Problem - i will just review below what i understood from your last Post , and Please update us with your comments:

1 - Host from VLAN 1 trying to communicate with IP address 192.168.4.22 ( VLAN 4 ) will be matched with line 1 and will be Permitted.

2- Host from VLAN 1 trying to communicate with Host from VLAN 4 ( other than 192.168.4.22 ) will be matched with line 2 and will be Denied.

3 - Host from VLAN 2 trying to communicate with Host from VLAN 2 or VLAN 3 will be matched with Line 3 and will be Permitted.

Regards

Hi,

You are right the traffic which is orginating from vlan 1 will be affecting those line in acl applied in IN direction of vlan 1 interface.3 point will vlan 1 traffic permiited to talk to rest of the vlan apart from vlan 4 which is denied in second line.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Dear Ganesh ,

Regards

Hi,

You are right the traffic which is orginating from vlan 1 will be affecting those line in acl applied in IN direction of vlan 1 interface.3 point will vlan 1 traffic permiited to talk to rest of the vlan apart from vlan 4 which is denied in second line.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card