Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new 3750 switch into an existing 3750 switch

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all

I just wanted to know whether adding a new C3750 switch to a live environment is possible without having to shutdown/reboot the live environment? That is I've already have one existing 3750 in production. I'd like to plug in a 2nd one via the StackWise interface but not sure if this process can be done without turning the existing one off.

I've already made sure that the new switch has the same IOS version as the exisisting one.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

Yeah, you can do it, just connect the new switch without the power on via the stack cable. After the stack cable is connected, then fire up the new C3750. I've done it before without any issues. Also, make sure the stack member priority value is higher with your current production C3750 incase of a master re-election.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post!)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You sure can but make sure to read this document for any caveats:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12240se/scg1/swstack.htm

I don't recommend adding the switch during production, have a small window for this task.

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

Yeah, you can do it, just connect the new switch without the power on via the stack cable. After the stack cable is connected, then fire up the new C3750. I've done it before without any issues. Also, make sure the stack member priority value is higher with your current production C3750 incase of a master re-election.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post!)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card