cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding another 2960-X to extend our network to another floor.

bpark
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have two floors with each floor having a stacked pair of 2960-X and we have a temporary need to add another switch for a new floor while we renovate our building. I was able to get another 2960-X to use but not sure how it should be configured and not 100% sure how the other stacked 2960-X are configured since I don't believe a basic show running-config reveals all the configuration. So I do know there is VTP and the domain name what other things do I need to discover and can I post the basic config I have on the 2960-X for review to make sure I don't create a blackhole with this new 2960-X?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you are adding the new switch as a member, all the configs from the master will sync to the new switch once the new switch is part of the stack. Make sure the new switch has the same IOS and license level as the rest of the stack.

Follow the guideline here and add it to the stack. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1178943

HTH

Hi, I was not planning to add this as another member of the stack. I was assuming since it will be far away I would just make a Trunk port off interface 48 on the new switch and also on the stack from the floor that is closer to this one.

If I wanted to add it to the stack how would that work? With the physical distance of the switches and this one has no SFP port modules unlike my stacked switches.

If adding it to the stack is the better option I am just trying to understand how it would be physically connected.

: )

make sense, any way stacking not possible on different floor, since max only 3 meters.

yes you can confiure as Trunk and connected to exiting stack and extended the VLAN so you not required to much configuraiton.

here is the trunk config :

https://networklessons.com/switching/how-to-configure-trunk-on-cisco-catalyst-switch

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card