cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anything

Biyahero
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to post this for over an hour and each time the system says nothing I choose for a Title is available so I just accepted this random title it will allow in hopes of getting a response.

I have a Huawei HG8245Q2 Optical Network Device that serves as a modem/router for my

1 Gbps Fiber to the Home Internet service. 

LAN Port 1 is connected to my Apple Time Capsule and associated Apple WiFi Devices.

Lan Port 2 is connected to a Cisco SD2008 Business Series Gigabyte Switch Version 2.2.

The Cisco SD2008 Business Series Gigabyte Switch Version 2.2 is in turn connected to my Apple TV on one port, my Vonage VOIP device on another port, a Sony TV on a 3rd port, and there are 3 other cable connections, which are currently unused ,but will be used soon.

I frequently experience significant buffering when viewing NetFlix, and I am considering replacing the SD2008 switch with managed switch ... perhaps a Linksys LGS308 or even better if I can find an appropriate Cisco Product... that would enable me to set the priority of the two devices mentioned above to be higher than the priority of the remaining ports.

According to the User Manual for the LGS308, in order to manage the user interface with that device, you must log on to it using telnet. I use a MacBook Pro running OS/X 10.13.6 and Apple has removed Telnet from OS/X since a few releases ago.

So assuming the management of the user interface of other similar managed switches is

probably similar I am wondering what alternative to Telnet might be available to manage these switches using OS/X?

If there are no viable alternative methods to access the user interface, I believe there is a way to add Telnet to the latest version of OS/X.

Then once I have accessed the management interface of such a switch using telnet or another method, how would I go about setting the QOS priority of those two ports above the others? 

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're posting in the IP Telephony community, might want to move/post in a relevant area.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I absolutely agree Jaime!  However I don't see how that can be done.  

The website demanded that I add a topic or subject, and I tried for a looooooonnngg time to choose topic or subject that would be acceptable, and whatever I chose ... maybe 15 different choices... it would say not available.  If you could please give me some suggestions on how to post this topic in the appropriate area, or even better move it there, I would be very appreciative.

Unfortunately, you are speaking about Linksys LG308. It's product of Linksys, not the Cisco one. There's no suitable community here for such question. You should consider ask Linksys. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a Telnet client for OS X, the Apple (not Cisco) system - so better to as on a OS-X forum.

If you wish to discuss Cisco's switches, place a question in either Switches (Small Business kind of) or Switching (enterprise product line).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card