cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Application not Printing.

rmiller17206
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently moving from older Brocade switches to new Cisco 9300s software version 17.03.03. Mostly the change has gone well, except for a really strange issue.

We have hard-wired PCs and tablets that use an application that prints shift receipts and all was well prior to the switch change. Afterwards, the tablets and one PC that work wirelessly will no longer print receipts from the application but they are able to still send test prints to the printer. Also, the PCs that are hard-wired to the new Cisco switches are printing from the application as normal. We moved our APs (Ruckus R610) from the Cisco switches back to the Brocade and the receipts print fine. While the APs are connected to the Cisco switches, we haven't noticed any other issues with our wireless connectivity.

Any guidance or helpful thoughts on this would be appreciated as I am new to Cisco and green on switching in general.

In advance, thank you.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This requires more information,

what is the Printer IP range before and after Migration?

what is the AP orWireless users IP before and after migration ?

is the IP address schema changed before and after?

what was the IP on the wireless device connected device working?

Do you have any Firewall between them? 

how is your network topology ?  - if do not have need one to understand how this is connected?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the response and polite guidance on what you would like to see.

No IP has changed. The Printer is static and wired and the user devices (2 tablets and 2 wired PCs and 1 wireless PC) do not change between AP connection swaps. The only thing that changes is the movement of the wireless AP (Access Point) from a Brocade FCX-48GS on version 7.3.00 to a Cisco 9300 running version 17.03.03. When the AP is on the older Brocade there is no issues, however after moving the AP to the Cisco switch the application (Genesis Bravo AuditWatch) no longer prints, but the device (tablet) still sends other prints to the same printer just fine. We moved the AP back to the Brocade switch, and everything prints as it should.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our network, hence the change. 

Are you requesting a map of either our physical or logical topology? Once we have ISE running, that will be easier for me to get as I recently got "promoted" to this position and am still learning the ropes.

So only change here is device moved to Csico Cat9300 stop working, why i have asked network diagram is, is thre any FW ? (since you mentioned no IP change).

i would suggest to clear ARP on both the switches and test. (is the printer connected to Brocade or cisco switch ?)

required some captture on the network layer to see what is wrong, since others working as expected.

is this application running on tablets ?

BB

Yes, the only thing changing is that we are moving the connection of the AP (Ruckus R610) from the Brocade switch to the Cisco Cat9300. 

We are running the application on two tablets which are connected to Wi-Fi, and three other Windows 10 PCs running Win10 LTSC. One of those PCs is running wirelessly while the other two are hard-wired to switches. The two hard-wired PCs were connected to the old Brocades, but have since been moved to Cisco 9300s. Neither of these have had an issue with the application printing after changing over.

When you ask about capture on the network layer, are you asking for Wire Shark or a log on the switch itself? I can work on getting what may be helpful. If Wire Shark, that will take me some time. If a switch log, may I ask which commands for it?

The ONLY thing positive about a problem is that it helps improve my troubleshooting education.

Looks for me more specific to the Application. (since you confirmed that tablet can print others).

Ruckus R610  - Look at the forums you see any solution and contact the application vendor to ask for any settings?

i would not suspect any switch config here. but to cross-check

can you post-show run from cisco.

get Wireshark capture in relation to application printing.

BB

Hello

Curious - From a wifi client that isnt working, remove and re-install the printer and test again

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

rmiller17206
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the helpful reply. I will find out if this was done and if not I will try it. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card