cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are static routes redistributed into EIGRP also redistributed into BGP with "redistribute eigrp" command?

spookjay1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router running both BGP and EIGRP. I put in the static route "ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 null0".

I am redistributing this static route into EIGRP with the "redistribute static" command in the EIGRP level configuration.

My question is if I go into my BGP level configuration and enter "redistribute EIGRP", is the static route that was redistributed into EIGRP also going to be redistributed into BGP?

I tried this setup in GNS3, but it looks like the static route is NOT making it into BGP. But when I look at a set of real routers with a similar setup, it looks like the static routes are making it into BGP by being redistributed into EIGRP, then from EIGRP into BGP.

Does anyone know what the behavior should be? Or does it depend on the IOS version?

2 Replies 2

Hello

This redistrubtion is on the same router correct?

By default the redistribution of the static wont occur as the static route will already be in the route table of the orignating router with a lower AD of either EIGRP and BGP

I guess to get the static route into the bgp table , you would again have to apply the redistribute static command in the bgp process also>

res

Paul.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Moh Mogh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Let's say:

router eigrp 1
 redistribute static

In this case, the output of the following will be redistributed into EIGRP 1 and your EIGRP neighbors in AS 1 could see them:
show ip route static

But on the same router, you won't see those static routes in the output of the following:
show ip route eigrp 1

Then if we configure the following on the same router:

router bgp 1
 redistribute eigrp 1

only the output of the following will be redistributed into BGP and your BGP peers could see them:
show ip route eigrp 1

But on the same router, you won't see those neither static routes nor the EIGRP routes in the output of the following:
show ip route bgp

BUT, you can see them all in:
show ip bgp

Regards,
Mohammad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card