Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Steps to creating a switch stack by adding second switch

BarestOfMargins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Appreciate help here as I dont want to make any errors with this.
I have a switch in production, 1 x 9300, they have added new office nearby and patched back to same rack as this, I have another 9300 I can add but I dont want to run the risk of taking anything down as this isnt something ive done before.
If its the case downtime is avoidable, so be it, I will perform out of hours, but if someone could provide the basic steps to this that would be great. Most guides I can find are adding second, third switches to existing stacks, or creating from scratch, whereas I want to add 1 switch to a live switch with no stack config setup already....

Thanks very much

4 Replies 4

DYARIBARHAM
Level 1
Level 1

Since you do not want to stack them, I suggest configuring the switch from scratch to avoid taking anything down.

Note: It is best to back up the configuration of the old switch just in case.

Hiya, thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, I DO want to stack them, but one has no config, and the other is a live switch in production. I want to add it as the second switch in the stack as easily and as hassle free as possible basically

As long as the existing switch is correctly numbered as first chassis you should simply be able to pre-provision the second switch then add it to the stack.  Before adding the new switch make sure it is numbered as the second chassis.  You should still plan to make the change "out of work hours" just in case you have any unexpected reloads.  Also best to make sure that you have exact same IOS installed on the 2nd switch before adding it, also in the same mode (install or bundle mode).

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

basic checks - make sure both models should be same, they have same IOS XE code and Licese.

1. make sure you offload the config out of the box safe (from the active live device)

2. Offline build the new switch  with Correct IOS XE to match with exiting Stack

3. change the Switch numnber and priority.

4. save the config and turn off the device.

5. Prepare the racking and mounting the kit in

6. configure on the Live stack switch provisioning.

7. connect the Stack cable (hope below URL give the information)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper-c11-741468.html

8. Power on the new Switch you looking to be part of stack.

Monitor  the Logs - show switch give you information

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card