cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best choice: Catalyst 4500 (SUP 5) VS Catalyst 6500 (SUP32)

svarkovsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

Could you please advise me the best choice for for swiith distribution layer in triple play network (VoIP, IP/TV and data) between Catalyst 4507 with SUP 5 (WS-X4516-10GE)and Catalyst 6504 with SUP 32 (WS-SUP32-10GE-3B), consider that I plane to use two 10 GE and about 3*48 1 GE SFP.

Thanks in advance,

Vladimir

8 Replies 8

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

well.. it really depends on a lot of factors.. important one's to look at it - Scalability, software support, modularity, performance etc..

If you take scalability and performance 4507 will be ahead, with growth of future requirements.. u can load 3 more slots in future for expansion.. if you take the software support, 6504 RULES!!!! it has almost all the features that u will be looking for....

If you dont have any scope for growth in the next 3 or 4 years, i would consider u to go for a 6500 chassis ONLY.. it is kinda stable and the best switches in Cisco... u also have the option of putting modules like FWSM, IDSM if required in future... in case u think that the backplane is not sufficient, u can move ahead to the SUP 720's which can support upto 720 Gbps.. 4500 can support only upto 136 Gbps, with SUP V..

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful.

Raj

Thanks for the comment!

Vladimir

Please mark the case as solved, which can help others (if it answers ur questions). rate replies if found useful..

Thanks again

Raj

kofflerg
Level 1
Level 1

Since you're talking GE and 10GE, keep in mind that the 45xx can only move ~6Gbps per slot. For that reason I can't see using one at the distribution layer...

George

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Vladmir,

If you have to use 3*48 1GE SPF connection then neither 4507 will suffice your requirement nor 6504. On 4507R if you use a 48Port GE SFp it will be 8:1 oversubscribed.You will not want you GE conenctions to perofrm as 125Mbps at any time. On 6504 with Sup32, there is a 16 port GE Fiber card only that can work with Sup32. So in case if you want to use 3*48GE connection i.e 144 GE connection then 6513 with Sup32 and 16FE module will be the only choice for you.

My Idea here for you is to go with 6506/6509 and Sup-720 as distribution where you can use 48GE-SFP modules and can suffice your requirement.You can buy a 10 GE module as well for your requirement to met.

Please check the datasheets for 6500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheets_list.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit...

thats a valid point.. makes real sense..

one more URL to add here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd801459a7.html

this is the datasheet of ws-x6748-SFP (48 port SFP card), and it does clearly say that it supports only with the SUP 720 option.. so, the best option here will be a 6509 with SUP 720...

Raj

Hi Raj,

How are you!!

Thanks for highlighting the point.

Congrats on your CCIE. So you have joined Wipro back here in Blore.. AFAI remember you were in ME right..

-amit singh

hey amit...

yeah.. was in ME.. right now in Melbourne for a project in Cisco :) .. uff.. i guess its a public forum.. will mail you in detail later ;) my mail id is rasivara@cisco.com :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: