Views
Helpful
Replies

Blade Switch 3120G VM etherchannel

chialun
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir, 

I have vm with 2 nic card  and 2 blade switch 3120g in the same hp c7000 blade enclosure. Do you have any idea for setup etherchannel as highlight in attachment  ?

Thanks and appreciation.

4 Replies 4

Dear Chialun,

Please find the below examples

This example shows how to create port channel interface 1:

Router# configure terminal 

Router(config)# interface port-channel 1 

Router(config-if)# ip address 172.32.52.10 255.255.255.0 

Router(config-if)# end 

This example shows how to verify the configuration of port channel interface 1:

Router# show running-config interface port-channel 1 

This example shows how to configure Fast Ethernet ports example 5/6 and 5/7 into port channel 2 with PAgP mode desirable:

Router# configure terminal 

Router(config)# interface range fastethernet 5/6 -7 

Router(config-if)# channel-group 2 mode desirable 

Router(config-if)# end 

for more info you can check the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/channel.html?referring_site=bodynav#wp1020478

I am alos attaching configurations I have done for blade switches of mine....

Please rate if info is helpful.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Lee Smitherman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Are your 3120`s stacked or separate entities?

If they are then you can have simply have an etherchannel down to your server (blade nics) using LACP.

If the 3120`s are not stacked, then the best option would be to use NIC teaming in some fashion.  If your core is a pair of 6509`s for example in a VSS pair or a Nexus pair, then you can also from the 3120`s have Etherchannel back to the core.  But need more details to suggest the best solution.

Lee.

Hi Lee and Thanveer,

Thank you for your reply, it's a separate entities. i think the simplest way to achieve the result would be create a stacked between the 2 unit of 3120 right ?   or else virtual connect will be able to achieve the result right? 

Hi,

Ive always stacked them and that way you can manage them as one single entity, one set of vlans etc.  If you do stack them, that will give you the benefit of being able to etherchannel down to your servers using LACP.  In effect also doubling your bandwidth(bear in mind with etherchannel is not a true doubling of bandwidth).  Also with the etherchannel both your nics will be transmitting and receiving at the same time(again depends on flows), rather than using some methods of nic teaming, which transmits and receives on different cards.

It also allows your to etherchannel back to your core(providing the core is designed to support etherchannel).

I have 4 C7000`s with 3120G`s stacked(some cabs with 4x3120Gs in slots giving me a stack of 4 switches), Two of which are 10G Etherchannel back to a 6509 VSS Pair.  Must say we have had 3120`s fail, cables go down and even a 6509 failing(CPU) but the servers in the racks just keep on running not noticing a thing.

HTH, Lee.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card