cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bouncing a switch

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

What does it mean to "bounce" a switch or that the switch "bounced"?  

When I first heard this used I thought it meant shutting an interface down and then turning it on again,  to clear a port-security violation and re-enable the port.  But then I saw a training video which referred to shutting down the port and bouncing as if they were two different things.  I found a lot of references to the term "bounce" in electronics as well, but not sure if that's where the term comes from.

What is bouncing and is it only something you do with a switch, or is it routers too or other devices?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Denise "Fish" Fishburne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

:)  Admittedly there are a lot of terms that start getting used and they just "stick".   They end up becoming part of the "slang" or IT subculture colloquialism.  

Bounce - usually used for IT devices, interfaces, or protocols.  Saying "bounce the interface" would typically mean to shut it down and then bring it back up again.  In reference to routers, switches, firewalls... etc... it would be typically to bring the device down and then bring it back up again.  I have even used it in reference to protocols like BGP where what I mean is I'm going to issue something like "clear ip bgp *" which will bring the BGP session down and then BGP will, by itself, bring the peer back up.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

to be honest I only know 'bouncing' in the context of shut/no shut a switchport. What training video are you referring to, is that viewable somehwere ?

The video was a Chris Bryant CCNA Security video on the topic of port-security.

Hello

It means re-loading the switch/rtr or interface

bouncing = up/down

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello

@fouad2400 wrote:

One of our https://videoder.pro/  customers wants to https://tubemate.onl/  configure ANI based VIP calls, however, the customer number lists  https://snaptube.vip/ have approximately 100 contacts.

Is there any possible way to do this?

What has this got to do with reloading a switch or router? The above post makes no sense whatsoever?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Denise "Fish" Fishburne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

:)  Admittedly there are a lot of terms that start getting used and they just "stick".   They end up becoming part of the "slang" or IT subculture colloquialism.  

Bounce - usually used for IT devices, interfaces, or protocols.  Saying "bounce the interface" would typically mean to shut it down and then bring it back up again.  In reference to routers, switches, firewalls... etc... it would be typically to bring the device down and then bring it back up again.  I have even used it in reference to protocols like BGP where what I mean is I'm going to issue something like "clear ip bgp *" which will bring the BGP session down and then BGP will, by itself, bring the peer back up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card