cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BPDU Guard and Filter with Cisco IP Phones

Phil Bradley
Level 4
Level 4

I have a question regarding implementing bpdu guard/filter on access ports in my network that also have Cisco IP phones attached and the phones have desktop PC's plugged into them. Does a Cisco IP phone participate in STP and send/receive bpdu's? I would like to implement BPDU guard or filter on the access ports going to the client phones/pc's. If I implement BPDU filter at the global level then this only applies to ports that are in the portfast state and if it receives a BPDU on this port then it takes it out of portfast, correct? I assume if I plugged a switch into an access port with BPDU filter at the global level then it would kick it out of portfast and then process/participate in STP? Thanks!

5 Replies 5

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7
Hi Phil

If BPDU Filter is configured on the global level using the spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter
default global configuration command, the BPDU Filter applies only to PortFast-enabled ports. When these ports come up, they will send up to 11 BPDUs and then stop sending further BPDUs. If the BPDU Filter-configured interface receives a BPDU at any time, the BPDU Filter and PortFast will be deactivated on that port and it will become a normal spanning tree interface. As a result, a globally configured BPDU Filter does not prevent ports from receiving and processing BPDUs; it only attempts to stop sending BPDUs on ports where most probably, there is no device attached that would be interested in processing them.

Thanks for the info. I am going to enable filter at the global level and then enable guard at the interface level so that I get alerted if a switch is plugged in. I was just concerned that if a cisco phone was plugged in on a guard interface that it would shut the port down. Even though the phone is technically a switch, I assume it doesn't participate in spanning tree. After all with only two ports it would be impossible to create a loop unless you plugged another switch into the desktop port?

I don't recall the phones sending out BPDUs.

Would normally enable BPDUGuard on all access ports with phones and without.

Don't forget to rate replies as helpful.

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Cisco IP Phones have built-in switch but it acts not like a normal switch - it determines requirements for voice vlan through CDP and builds a trunk without any BPDUs. So you can issue this config on access port of your switch:

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

switchport voice vlan X

switchport access vlan Y

auto qos voip cisco-phone

But do not forget to enable CDP on this interface or globally.

What if a cisco IP Phone is physically connected with both its ports (switch and PC) "daisy chained" to the same switch?
Had a person connect both PC and switch ports on cisco IP Phone to the two wall ports, creating a loop.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card